Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2000, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just saw a small picture of the new case 580m series looks pretty good more glass and aerodinamic .How many of you guys prefer case equipment?
Old 11-14-2000, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say their backhoes are one of the best out there. Their crawlers or excavators aren't worth a crap. Their loaders are pretty nice though. Where did you see the pic? Let me know, I'll check it out if it's on a website.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 11-14-2000, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Cat- I've owned 2 pieces of Case equipment, a 580D hoe and a 450 dozer, and I had excellent results with both. The 450 with the 6 way blade was the right size for residential work. The 580 was a three sticker with foot swing. Next time it will be a 4x4 though.
Old 11-14-2000, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag48 wrote: Their crawlers or excavators aren't worth a crap.

What do you base this on? Do you own one?

Geoff
Old 11-14-2000, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I can see there is very little diffrence in Excavators today.They are alot like TVs all made in the same place just painted diffrent colors. As for Case machinery Iv'e never liked their Tractorhoes much the loader control is not near as nice as JD or Cat and the boom config is not what I'm used to.I think Case skidloaders are second to none as far as earth work is concerned,the 90xt I have is by far better equipped than any of it's competition.
Old 11-15-2000, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice Equipment!! Nice Price!!

I've used alot of Case equipment, and bought and sold many pieces and have had great success with everyone i've had, but, they do get very pricey. the up side is that they do retain their value.
machinery...ar..ar...ar
Old 11-15-2000, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag48 I saw it in Equipment today it's a magazine telling the latest in new equipment.
Old 11-15-2000, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag I know everyones entitled to their opinions but until you get a little more expierience you might want to refrain from making such obviously misinformed statements in public.I have spent several thousand hours each on Komatsu 150-5 ,200-3&6 ,300-3 Case 9010,9020,9030& 9040 and Kobelco 907 [equivalent to 200] excavators and while I consider the Komatsu to be the class of the field currently , I'm just as happy to spend the day on a 90 series Case anytime. As far as I'm concerned they are equal in productivity, power, smoothness,reliability and overall ease of handling. If I had to choose one excavator for everyday use I would be hard preesed to decide between the Case 9030 and the Komatsu 200LC-6. As far as tractor loader backhoes ,Case 590 SuperL 4x4 extendahoe says it all!
Old 11-15-2000, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

590 is nice if you don't have mud but here in Iowa we got mud and a 590 is tooo heavy.You can have all the nonCat machinery you want but from an owners perspective the service Cat provides is second to none.I have nothing against any of the brands you named,I own Cat,JD,Case and have run Komatsu and they are all comperable to each other in certain series but when it comes to down time and getting parts and service no one beats Cat.
Old 11-15-2000, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Geoff-I don't own one but I know a guy that does. He says he doesn't like them. He told me that you couldn't counter rotate the tracks on the excavators. I don't know what year of machine he was talking about, but that is what he told me.
Smooth Operator-How do you know that my statments are misinformed? I know a guy that says they are terrible. I haven't run one though but will be able to tell you how it went when I do. I don't know the year of the excavator or dozer this guy was talking about but I don't know if that is much of a factor. In my opinion, Cat and Deere have the best excavators out there. Deere's new series of excavators are probably the best on the market (I don't have any sales data to back that up) and I know for a fact that Cat definately makes the best dozer around.

Go hard, go fast, or go home