Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2004, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

getting started

just wanted to see if any one had some good advice for getting started in the lawn business. i need pretty much everything. where to look for used good equipment? how to pick up business? things like that.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Welcome! I'm new too, so we're in the same shoes.

My advice would be to go to the "just starting in the business" forum and ask specific questions. It helps if you do as much research (legwork) as you can regarding starting your own business; no one wants to lay out their business plan for you. People are usually a lot more willing to help if you've put forth some effort. So do some research, keep asking questions and enjoy the site!

You might pick up Sean's "Starting a Lawn Care Business" cd if you have no idea where to start. He sells it on ebay I believe

Geoff
Old 03-09-2004, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRT

You might pick up Sean's "Starting a Lawn Care Business" cd if you have no idea where to start. He sells it on ebay I believe

Geoff
Seans startup kit is available at www.lawncaresuccess.com
Old 03-09-2004, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe since you are not totally ready and set to go this year from the opening, you can find a job and work with a local LCO and learn a lot as you go for a year, and at the same time, get your ducks in a row for a strong start next year.
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but sometimes it is better to take it slow, and make wise decisions.
Another good thing to do, is read up on this site as much as you can, the information on here is priceless.
Good luck with whatever you do!
Old 03-09-2004, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The "just starting in business" forum is a great place to start because there are many answers to your question there. Also play around with the search function at the top portion of your screen!
Old 03-09-2004, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i would go to

www.summer101.com

and buy a start up kit
Old 03-09-2004, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't waste your money on the Summer101.com stuff. I bought it, looked it over and threw it in my junk drawer. Listen to the guys on this site, ask intelligent questions, and they will steer you along the right path. If you must have a cd-rom or manual on running a lawn care business, buy the one that noiseyvoizey and GRT recommended earlier.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

First of all I would like to see how much we have to work with,($$$$) . And then I will try my best to help you out!!
21" craftsman push
craftsman blower
homelite trimmer
Old 03-09-2004, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Get a biz plan together, decide on where you want to o and how big you want to be.

Look at your market, look how big the average local company is your area.

Look at the new construction there also, if the market is growing than the chances of you growing is better that a stable market that is filled with stable companies that might have been on site for years.

Than after you get a feel for what you area will bear then plan out the big picture, what eqipment will you need ie. trucks, mowers, trimmers (weed & hedge), blowers, tool kits, euipment securing devises, insurance, licenses ect...

Now this just my oppinion, but new equipment can be cheaper in the long run. Down used equimentcan cost well over $25-35 per hour easy with repair shop labor and parts not to mendtion lost wages rack up fast. One local guy that I help out in my area spent over $2000. this past year on repairs.

I would strongly suggest working the first year or two some where and start part time unless you have some kind of working capital, always remember you gotta pay the bills put gas n the equipment and pay yourself.

But once you get it up and running you will love it. I wish the best of luck.

Buddy
Old 03-09-2004, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zach76
Don't waste your money on the Summer101.com stuff. I bought it, looked it over and threw it in my junk drawer. Listen to the guys on this site, ask intelligent questions, and they will steer you along the right path. If you must have a cd-rom or manual on running a lawn care business, buy the one that noiseyvoizey and GRT recommended earlier.
did you see that they just came out with a new version. thats the only reason i reccomemded it. the other versions are junk, and mostly common knowledge and common sense. but this new one looks like it may actually be of value.