Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2004, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Not one single call

Hey guys, a little about myself. I am just starting back in the buisness after being out for 7 years. I was only in buisness for 1 season due to very poor financial planing. I plan on doing it right this time around. My Question is this, I have had an add in a city wide news paper for over a week, Have passed out fliers to 2 whole neighborhoods and have 2000 more fliers to go, have signs on my truck with the phone number and web site, but I have not got a single call. The last time I started, an add in the same paper got me 32 yards. I know we had 9 inches of snow just 3 weeks ago, but is anyone else in the K.C. area having this problem. I have been living off a 401K since Dec. while I was getting things set up, but now I am starting to get worried. When will they call???
Old 03-03-2004, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

what I've found with advertising is that you have to hit them at just the right time...when they are thinking about their landscape/lawn. Many people will hold onto your info and call you later. Most people seem to wait til the last minute to schedule service...which makes us all nuts in early spring.

You've not wasted your money on the advertising. THe more people see your business, the more likely you will get calls.
Just keep at it.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Stunmi,
Hang in there, like garpa said, tehy'll call, but when they are ready. Since you already passed out some flyers, people are starting to think about you. A lot of them don't see a need to call anyone until they actually need the work done. Homeowners don't think like we do, because they don't have to prepare to cut 100 lawns a week, tehy just want theirs done.
So hang in there, and with it warming up, it will only be a matter of time before the calls start.

Keep on passing out the flyers, and getting yourself seen around town as much as possible. I have been wearing my work shirts to the grocery store for weeks. People start to remember seeing it when they are stuck in line behind me at the checkout!

PS- something not so funny to check, but you did have the right phone number on the flyers, right

Hang in there, and good luck!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

like Twins said , getting your name out there is sooo important. If I was allowed to only give one tip for a new guy/gal , to get work, I would tell him/her to buy many shirts/caps with the biz name on and the phone number. People DO read things on shirts...and they will subconciously remember your biz name over time. I know that doesn't put food on the table right now, but in time, it will. Trust us on this one as most of us know how stressful it is when you are trying to grow the biz...dont quit...wear your "uniform" as much as you can...not only while working. My wife says she is SO SICK of seeing the logo she could puke...but then she also says she cannot believe how my biz has grown in only 3 years...and we started with ZERO accounts.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Not hurting money-wise yet (truck and house paid through June) but will be if I don't get at least enough to cover those bills. I have gone so cheap it isn't funny. Using a troy built 24" high wheel I had w/ 10 hp motor I just installed. A craftsman 21" push, a Stihl 036 weed eater and chain saw I had since the last time, a Homlite blower I got for 50.00 and a 2000 F-150 and 8' trailer I had since the last time also. I had a dealer tell me he could get me a snapper 36" for 1800.00 and as soon as my tax return comes in, that will be bought.

You guys have taught me my lessons today though. Since I posted this morning, I have had 2 calls and 2 estimates to give!!!
Thanks to everyone.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good to hear you are getting your calls now!
About buying the 36" mower, maybe you can hold off on buying it right away until you get the work lined up to require it. This way, you can always have the money just in case, and should be fine in using the other mowers you already have. Just some thoughts.
Garpa, my wife is the same way, she already told me she is sick of seeing my "TWINS Lawn Care" wardrobe, and I haven't even shown her my new TWINS Lawn Care underoos yet!
Old 03-03-2004, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

her favorite line is "are you ever going to take off that damn goober hat!"...yes dear I'll take it off...when they put me in the wheel chair or when you win the lottery sweetie pie....
Old 03-03-2004, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Stunmi,
Patients, I started getting a bit touchy the past few weeks without a call, but they are coming in now. I have ahd a bid and a meeting over two commercial lawns this next week. It will come, just be ready when it does and read all you can on Lawn Site!!!!!
Good luck and great mowing.

"If it is on fire or bleeding I can usually fix it, other than that we might be in trouble"
Old 03-07-2004, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

patience is a virtue! I'd say a month from now you're going to be asking us how in the world will you ever get caught up
Old 03-08-2004, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Every year I get nervous about getting calls early on, and every year in May when I'm booked up and turning down estimates I shake my head at those worries. I'm trying to play it cool this year.