Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2004, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

All time most disgusting request from a custormer

This morning around 8 my partner took a call from a customer we signed up at the end of last season and still haven't done work for her yet. She asked us to remove a dead deer from her property Lou then called me to tell me and I of course said find the proper agency as I am not doing it. Well an hour later he calls to tell me the town will pick it up if itís at the curb I say and what does that mean. And he replies that the deer died on Monday its now Wednesday shes been fighting with the town since then and she asked if we could drag it and he apparently said yes. So I am now waiting on him to tell me what it was like since I had said no to him and his brother wanted us to hire him again I figure he just got his first work of the season and sent them both. Next issue what the hell would you charge for something like dragging a 3 day old dead deer 75 feet up a hill to the curb if anything or being this early in the season would you do it knowing you probably have this customer for life now?
Old 03-03-2004, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I have done several odd requests for a token fee. This shouldn't take long, just get it on a tarp and drag. You're right you may get a customer for life. That's not always a good thing.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

kelly, check it out, it's only been dead 3 days. i'd drag the thing to the curb and charge a one hour labor fee. i have a 1 hr minimum labor fee. if u need me to do something stupid, and it takes less than an hour, you pay for the entire hour. a customer called the other day. he's SO LAZY, a plastic bag with garbage in it got ripped by an animal, and the wind blew all the garbage all over the yard. he called me to pick it up. i was there 25 minutes, charged a one hour labor fee. i told him he should try actually putting the bags out by the curb every so often, and the garbage man will take them. he asks if i can come on tuesday night to drag the garbage out to the curb. i said of course. i went last night, spent less than 5 min dragging the cans and bags to the curb. i charged an additional one hour fee. in total i charged $90 to pick up trash, and bring to curb. entire job including drive time was less than an hour. i'll take all the cr@p work they care to give me, as long as it's not a health hazard.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Matthew, gut it out and cook it, free lunch for the crew

Mac
Old 03-03-2004, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take some rope and a mower over there. Tie it to the mower and pull the thing to the street. Can't be that difficult.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't understand the problem.

people drag deer all the time around here and lots of times it's for further than 75 feet.

GEO
Old 03-03-2004, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd do it just to score points with the customer. Dead animals are no big beal to me. I've hunted and traps most of my life. I'm sure the weather is still kind of cool there so it shouldn't stink to bad. Just put in a pair of gloves grab a leg and drag it to the road. Customer for life!

If it were still winter I might load it up in the truck and dump it in one of the field I hunt. Wait for the coyotes to come and eat. Shoot the coyote. Skin it and sell it to the fur buyer and make $30 off it. And have some fun in the process.
"Grass is what saves and holds the water that keeps life good and going. ... It keeps the falling rain from flushing away. Blades of grass take water from the air and transpire it into the ground. That works the other way around too. Because grass blades help put water back into the air so that rain can fall again" - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-03-2004, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just quarter up the deer and freeze it for some summer steaks! Nothing like good aged venison! HAHAHA
Old 03-03-2004, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Got a phone call last season from our largest site to see if we had "the gun" on board. I turned to my mate (UK assistant not the wife or SO) and asked him, he said mowers/strimmers but no gun.

Went to site to see what was up, turned out to be a dead fox in the barn, very smelly/maggots! took it out and gave it a good funeral. Well after all who can dig a good hole but a gardner.

See Web site for pictures of English gardens
Old 03-03-2004, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's just nasty! How much would I charge? NOTHING! I wouldn't do it! I am not that desperate for money. You couldn't pay me enough! My friend hit a deer once and killed it instantly. I was following him and I stopped and helped him move it out of the road. Even freshly killed it smelled to high heaven. I almost puked from the smell on my hands. There's no way I'd ever do that again. I'd rather mow lawns for 8 hours than get anywhere near a 3 day old dead deer!

As for what was the most disgusting thing we were ever asked to do; One chinese lady had her elderly Dad living with her. She asked us to haul away a bag of "debris" for her that was sitting over near her driveway. "No problem," I say. One little bag. She hardly ever asks for anything extra. Well, we can't dispose plastic bags at the yard debris recycling place so we always just empty bags into the back of our truck and guess what! There was some yard debris there but mixed in were about 4 used cathiter (sp?) bags with the cathider, tube, and full bag of urine. These were apparently from the elderly man who lived there. NASTY! I couldn't even believe she asked us to do that. Thankfully, I wasn't there. I was pruning around the corner. My foreman had to deal with that one. And he wasn't too happy about it. We didn't end up hauling it off, obviously.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon