Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2004, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

the learning period.

I am starting my business in April, I have been working with a friend of mine the past month thats in the business and he is showing me how to do things. My biggest fear right now is going through the learning period which I know will consist of mistakes. Yes I been cutting my own yard for years, but there is a difference between cutting your own yard and cutting proffessionally. I am afraid that customers will think I am doing a poor job and the word will get around about me making my business suffer. Have any of you guys been through this and if you have how did you correct your mistakes and make your bad reputation become a good reputation.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't think you are awesome at mowing, you need to question even getting in the business. For all we know, you could be great, but that attitude is scary.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

being a good mower and being a good businessman encompass two entirely different skillsets. you can be a good businessman and be light on the technical skills and succeed. on the other hand, you can be the greatest equipment operator in the world, but if you are really bad at the business end of it, you have got problems...
Old 03-05-2004, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
being a good mower and being a good businessman encompass two entirely different skillsets.
Very good point.

Hi laborador,

You can always ask your clients what they think of your service and that feedback will help you grow.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

"I am afraid that customers will think I am doing a poor job and the word will get around about me making my business suffer."

What if your customers think you do the greatest freakin' job they've ever seen and you pick up 70 lawns in one week?

Never be afraid of success, my friend.

-JC
Old 03-14-2004, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

practice makes perfect. Look at how other companys mow or handle properties, take down notes. Talk to business leaders, get feedback from customers, and always come to lawnsite to learn things
Old 03-14-2004, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If we all had such a sour outlook on things, why even get out of bed in the morning? You need to set goals and go out there and achieve them in the face of any adversity that gets in your way! Now get out there and sell your business to some people!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2004, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea, laborador, as you suspect there is a very big difference between doing your own lawn and doing it for a living. although all of the kids that answer our help wanted ads don't seem to think so. you will do things in the upcoming year that you will laugh at a few years from now. the key to keeping your customers while your mowing skills are lacking is to give excellent customer service. i can say that i do not think that out of a large number of clients, i don't think we have any from when we started.

well, maybe two or three.