Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2004, 04:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

? on battery operated hand shears

I just signed on a property where they have too many evergreens that they have shaped into the rounded balls...I forget what plants they are but they are evergreens..most are 5 to 6 feet high and a few feet wide. Years ago I had a mickey mouse pair of of rechargeable Black and Decker hand shears but they were almost worthless. But there may now be better ones out there...know of any?

Theres at least 10 of these plants on one property and I;d rather not be holding the heavy Echo gas hedge clipper when I could use something allot smaller for the detail work...thanks for your input

ps..if you have any tips on a good way to estimate time (not $) for trimming/pruning, I would greatly appreciate that. When I use a hard number estimate, about half the time I screw myself. Sometimes I use a range of price like betweeb $100 and $150 but some customers want a firm number, not a range. This is one service that I'm not good at estimating just by looking at it. THe cleanup is where I always underbid..appreciate your advise

Last edited by GarPA; 03-05-2004 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also have some B&D clippers with 14.4V rechargeable power pack that I purchased 2 years ago for around $75.I still use them a pretty good bit and they work fine.Now they're nowhere near as powerful as my Stihl's but for light cutting and shaping are hard to beat.They are so light you can trim one-handed.I can get an hour's worth of trimming per charge.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

are yours the ones that have the overlap blades in the front with v shaped blades that stick out only a few inches? I dont remember mine costing that much so maybe I didn;t buy the right ones?
Old 03-06-2004, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the B&D 20 in.cordless Hedge Hog.The overall length is about the same as my Stihl HS45 clippers.Like I said,they're not that great for badly overgrown shrubbery but I've touched up as many as 25 bushes on one charge before.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Why are you using a battery operated hedge trimmer anyway. They may be good for a home owner but they will not take a beating on the job site. Get a pair of gas trimmers and you can do the job twice as fast.

The average shrub 3 to 5 feet tall and 2-4 foot wide should take about 5-7 minutes to trim and clean up. take you amount of shurbs times whatever time you think it takes you to trim and clean and multiply ithat times your hourly rate.. That should put you in the ball park

Old 03-06-2004, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Re: ? on battery operated hand shears

Quote:
Originally posted by GarPA
Theres at least 10 of these plants on one property and I;d rather not be holding the heavy Echo gas hedge clipper when I could use something allot smaller for the detail work...thanks for your input
Now you know why to buy the "Mid size" non articulated Hedge trimmer. Balance is absolutely perfect, manueverability is great and they are second to none doing detail work.
DP
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2004, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dreisman...I already have 2 ECHO gas machines. They work fine but they're overkill and heavy when doing shaping work on small specimens...hence my ? on the battery machines
Old 03-06-2004, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

doc..is that a split shaft machine you have in the pic? maybe I need to just buy a small add on attachment shear
Old 03-06-2004, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dreisman
[B]Why are you using a battery operated hedge trimmer anyway.

Because it's very lightweight and seems to work fine for minor cutting and shaping.I still use my Weedeater trimmer for the same reason even though I have two nice JDs.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Also, Doc, what are your opinions on the articulating ones vs. the ones you have there? More power? I need some, but really need the 90* angle for tops of hedges that are too high to reach. Your thoughts?

Thanks