Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2004, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Rose Bushes

How do you guys bid / charge for pruning rose bushes?
Old 03-04-2004, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pending the amount of bushes and if it is monthly with a mowing contract or just once a year.
I usually charge once a year (hedge clippers work best then use the pruners for fine detail) about 5 per bush if over 20 bushes.
It is a judgement call. Dont forget to charge for dump fees.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Growing decent roses is an art, and people like them in their own ways, I ask what they are looking for in their blooms, lots of blooms, or do they want several really nice flowers.....I usually cut them down 1/2 to 3/4 in height, and treat them with disease and insect control....I planted 200 Jackson and Perkins for a client, and told them they would need constant attention, They did not want to pay for me to do it, they wanted to maintain and enjoy them themselves.........I advised them the sucker shoots coming from the root ball are very spiny and will kill the bushes eventually and need to be removed, and the small blooms around the larger one in the middle needed to be removed to acheive the prize bloom........Long story short, they now have 8, 4ft x 30ft planter boxes (that I built) full of dirt and weeds.............Using hedgers on them tears the stalks and prevents decent buds, use sharp anvil or shear type cutters...............Just my opinion, many are succesful with other methods.......They take a lot of time, and I add the charge per visit depending on the time......Eric
Old 03-04-2004, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TaylorLawn
...Using hedgers on them tears the stalks and prevents decent buds, use sharp anvil or shear type cutters...............Just my opinion, many are succesful with other methods.......They take a lot of time, and I add the charge per visit depending on the time......Eric
As the hedger is true if you don't take care of them. I live in Jackson Perkins Central. Big Company here and part of Bear Creek Corporation. I have been to many seminars on how to take care of Prize roses, and yes if you want prize roses you have to spend at least 1/2 hour a week per bush to get them.
I take care of people that don't have the time to do it themselves as do 95% of us. They want it as cheap as possible and the best results for the price. This means old granny wants her roses pruned 1 x a year. That means in jan or feb here we prun them at 6-12" high off the ground except rose trees and climbers. All bushes get this with the hedge trimmer (a sharp hedge trimmer at that).
Roses are butifull but they suck to prune and haul. Thorns are a pain in the ars. Get what you can if you need the money, cause this is a out of the normal season routine for us.
As for weekly or monthly pruning. I have several that I do and they are roughly what I charge for monthly lawn service. somewhere between 75 and 150 a month of the many lawns I do only 3 of these are willing to pay the prices of taking care of roses properly.

By the way a rose is a very resiliant bush. You can dang near starve it for water, cut it back way to far and never feed it and it will still produce nice blooms.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

My specialty is roses. If you will e-mail me on specific problems, I am sure I can help. Pricing is customer dependent and as mentioned above will depend on their wants. I have a 100 bushes and spend about an hour a week for prize blooms. For customers I would charge $2.00 per visit per bush, minimum 15 bushes
Old 03-05-2004, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Sildoc,
I was not inferring that one could not use a hedger, ....I did not see the specific you were referring to in the quoting of my post, this was a suggestion, and a relevant one considering this is a lawn care company who probably, as I do, carries the hedger day to day to his accounts. Most of us maintain our equipment to a more than satisfactory degree, and I personally would not use a hedger on roses after they have been used on any other type of daily activity......As I said above........my opinion only.......

Out of curiosity, since you are located near the J&P home base, do you see an increase in the prices per bush since the gas prices are rising......I know we are hit hard because of it...Eric
Old 03-05-2004, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TaylorLawn
Sildoc,
Out of curiosity, since you are located near the J&P home base, do you see an increase in the prices per bush since the gas prices are rising......I know we are hit hard because of it...Eric
I pick them up direct, I haven't seen them increase yet and hope I dont.
I get direct prices for 6.99 a bush for #1 bush and 5.99 #1 climber. Trees vary on if it is poupular or not but usually around 15 or so.
I really don't get that much of a break but every little bit counts.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that has about 30 rose bushes. During bloom, we dead head each plant once every two weeks, cutting off any bloom that is at the end of it's life. Also prune to control shape and size. Around October/November, I cut them back to about 12 to 18 inches. In spring, I remove any winter kill and/or diseased wood. The plants perform well for me year after year.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a lot of people want it done as part of their spring cleanup, so I just add it into the cost of the cleanup. I think most people around here wouldn't like it if I took my hedge trimmer to them. I just use hand pruners.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

All I can say is "time is money"