Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-06-2004, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bottom Height/Angle Of Bagger

I just purchased a GCEXXL bagger for my Toro 36" proline fixed deck and had a question about the bottom height/angle to the ground. I know your instructions say to keep the bottom of the bagger below the blade height, and on mine the front is well below but the back of the opening is almost at the blade height. I have seen photos of your bagger mounted on other mowers and it seems to angle up towards the back of the machine a little, but mine seems somewhat excessive. Before I start grinding on the lip of the mower deck to level/lower the bagger. thanks Marc

P.S. By the way I have worked in some places that do aluminum fabrications and welding and everybody involved on it at Accelerator Ind's have sent me a quality looking product.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Sponsor

Marc,
Thanks for buying one of our catchers! Don't grind the lip on your mower yet- I think you will find that having the catcher below the blade at the front and at the blade level towards the back of the opening will work well. The clippings tend to flow along the front of the deck, so having the opening a bit bigger at the front seems to work best. I have spent a lot of time trying to get the catcher height and angle just right. If you lower the catcher by grinding the lip, you will get a slightly better fill, however the bagger will get beat up faster. There is a trade off between bagger height off the ground and fill performance. A lower bag fills better but gets punished more. A higher bagger gets less wear, but wont fill as well. If you find that the bagger does not fill 100%, you can always do a bit of grinding later to lower the bag slightly. If you do have any fill problems, let me know before you do anything, as your blade combo also has an effect.
Thanks

Peter Andonian, Lawnsite Sponsor
Accelerator Industries
http://www.AcceleratorIndustries.com
800-984-9410
Old 03-06-2004, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PeterA, Thanks for responding so fast (another reason I went with one of your baggers: Excellent customer service, keep it up) I will wait to grind on it and consult back with you before I would. I am really anxious to try it along with my new JRCO dethatcher that I put on my Toro 36" with a flex deck attachment. Maybe tomorrow (sunday) my front yard could use a light cleanup. As far as blade combos I had been running stock blades under the main deck, but purchased a set of gator style mulching blades. Afraid to try doubles on this setup because I don't think my Kaw 15hp will quite appreicate swinging 6blades (counting the flex deck) and pull me on the sulky I bought a set of MegMo's for my 62" Toro Z last fall, Once I get some time with them and decide I like them I might purchase a set for my walkbehind. Do you have any blade recomendations for using with your Accelerator bagger? Thanks Marc
Old 03-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Sponsor

Marc,
I get feedback from people that varies a bit as far as what blade combo works best. A number of guys using our baggers put a gator on the far spindle (or 2 of them on 3 blade machines) then use a stock blade or highlift right next to the bagger. the basic idea is to add a bit of extra thrust to the clippings right at the bagger without bogging down the engine by putting high lifts or doubles on the far spindles. Gators of course cut down on the amount of clippings collected. Some people have even been able to put gators on all spindles with good results. Of course, in easy bagging conditions almost any combo will work fine. It is the challenging conditions that are the most interesting. If you get the chance, I would appreciate hearing what gives you the best results.

Accelerator Industries
800-984-9410
Old 03-07-2004, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Peter, got a chance to use the bagger today on some light leaves along with my dethatcher. Worked pretty good minimal discharge under the bagger until it was full. Was getting more blowout in front of the mower. Need to try raising blades on spindles. I have attached a photo so can see the angle I was talking about. Marc
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2004, 02:36 AM
Sponsor

Marc,
Thanks for the Picture. Are you getting blowout when the bagger is not full? Is the catcher filling all the way up even at the top rear? I think the bag could come down just slightly- but if you are not getting blowout until the bag is full the extra elevation will keep the bagger in better condition longer. If you wanted to lower it a bit, I would try removing about 1/4 inch of steel off the rim just under the hook.

Accelerator Industries
800-984-9410
Old 03-08-2004, 02:40 AM
Sponsor

Marc,
one more thing. If you take 1/4 off the rim it will lower the bagger about 1 1/2 inches at the rear, and about 5/8 inches at the back of the opening.

Accelerator Industries
800-984-9410
Old 04-11-2004, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Peter, Haven't had to do any modifying and the bagger seems to be working great. Took a little practice but now I can even get the bagger almost completly full in heavy wet grass. I origionally purchased your bagger because I had picked up a couple of yards that wanted the clippings bagged and figured I could also use it for leaf cleanups, but it has come in handy for yards that had some excessive growth the first time across this season, two passes around the houses and landscaping, then discharge the rest. Hardly any mess to clean up when done. Marc
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2004, 01:25 AM
Sponsor

Marc,
Thanks for the nice picture! I actually need a picture of the catcher mounted on the fixed deck toro for our website. Would you mind if we used this picture in our website? (or if you have some more, maybe you could email them to us?)

Accelerator Industries
800-984-9410
Old 04-12-2004, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Peter, yes you may use that picture and if get any more with the dethatcher off I will send them to you. Marc

P.S. Either post or PM your email address