Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2004, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Cyclone Rake owners ???? thatch pick-up ???

All you guy's (and gal's ) with the Cyclone Rake, have you ever tried using it to pick-up thatch after de-thatching a lawn? How did it go ??????

Here in the NW thatching a 6000 sq ft lawn equals about 1.5 to 3 truck loads of thatch. Thats a tone of raking and bagging. It's only a 2 month window when everyone wants to be de-thatched, then the thatching seasons over. I'm looking for a quicker way to address it.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2004, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's so true!!! De-thatching around here is a nightmare. I look at these little spring-tine thatch rakes and just shrug. If it doesn't have a motor on it, it ain't gonna work around here.

I'm not familar with the Cyclone Rake. What we do is de-thatch then run the Walker GHS over it but even that's a pain because it fills up so fast (9.5 bushel box).
Old 03-06-2004, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your talking about real, actual thatch, yes - you have your work cut out for you (no pun intended). I can't see why the Cyclone wouldn't work for this, and very well. The only holdback, is that it would fill up rather quickly, but so what - if your using it to transport the material to the truck anyway. With this combination of tasks, you're going to come out ahead, anyway. I would certainly let the material dry a bit before vacuuming it up though. This can lighten the load quite a bit, if the thatch happens to be a bit damp, like it it sometimes can be. We've used the Little Wonder blower to gather it into piles, and that's worked rather well, too, but I don't think it would be as time efficient as just using the Cyclone as like I said, as soon as it's gathered, you can transport it to the truck (or wherever) as fast as your mower goes.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My company uses the jrco attachment for the w/b mowers. thats the one wiht the little tines on the front of the moer and all of our accounts look awsome when we are done and we dont take as much thatch away as we used too.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes,... the JRCO rakes don't actually dig real thatch. They just comb op most of the dead grass that is matted down on the soil surface. A real dethatcher, with knives, will dig up the actual thatch (where present). This stuff has a constistency that is much like paper fiberboard, or humus. You can go over a lawn 4 times with a JRCO and not dig out as much as one pass with a dethatcher.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

The Cyclone Rake I've been considering holds 4 - 55 gal bags in the collection area. That seems like a lot of thatch?

dkeisala you should look at it cyclonerake.com it looks like the ticket for leaf season!!!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, the thing about the Cyclone, is that pound for pound, penny for penny, it's a great product for the money - especially if you get into the larger unit. I don't have one, but I'm seriously considering one, as I've done quite a bit of research on several products, and have the video on these. I've also been reallt considering the Ultra-vac. It's a tough run between the two. The Cyclone holds more - MUCH more than the Ultra-Vac, and it's priced for less. It has an aux. motor, so it isn't sacrificing any mower engine power. It also has a seperate vac hose feature that allows you to vacuum out of pits, window wells, beds, etc..
Attaching and detaching the unit is much less labor intensive (as far as the lifting goes), and can be done EASILY by one person. The UV is cumbersome, and hard to handle to attach and detach.

Old 03-07-2004, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input on the UV. It dosn't sound as good as the Cyclone Rake, but it's got me thinking about other options.

Anyone know of any other options / competitors to the Cyclone Rake??????

I would definitely use it for leaf removal, but would like to use it for de-thatch clean-up.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Five Diamond Lawns
The Cyclone Rake I've been considering holds 4 - 55 gal bags in the collection area. That seems like a lot of thatch?

dkeisala you should look at it cyclonerake.com it looks like the ticket for leaf season!!!!!
I've looked at the Cyclone Rake since my original post. I guess that's why I like my Walker GHS so much. I handles leaves just fine, it's compact and doesn't require a whole additional unit to pick up thatch and leaves.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out AgiFab chipper Vac......has a bigger motor then cyclone......and is less expensive. I've got 3 yrs on one with very little problems.

Have not used it for power rake clean-up......but I plan to this year.

Experience and Treachery will always beat Youth and Enthusiasm.