Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Do you tell your immediate competition about Lawnsite? Be honest!!
I tell my competition about lawnsite to improve the image of this industry. 34 33.01%
I dont tell my competition about lawnsite cause i want to keep the upper hand on them. 25 24.27%
I've never had the opportunity to tell my competition, but i would tell my competition for the benefit of the industry. 21 20.39%
I've never had the opportunity to tell my competition, but that doesn't matter, cause i probably wouldn't tell them anyway. 23 22.33%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2004, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you tell your immediate competition about Lawnsite.com?

I was just curious to see how many of us on here tell our competition about this educational forum. I'm not talking about friends that also do lawn care in another part of the state/country, just your closest competition.
I've gotta admit it, if i told the guys in my area and they signed on, they wouldn't be able to handle the "S" word.
"To have a nice, green, weed free lawn is a LUXURY. This holds true for a Cadillac pick-up. We don't have to have one, we just want it! Our Cadillac owning customers want the nice lawn. They paid for the Caddi, why not the lawn?" The moral here folks is, Charge Accordingly!

http://www.gardenplace.com/main.asp?page_id=38
www.j-thomas.com
www.weedalert.com
Old 03-06-2004, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

no, to do so would be to dig your own grave. the best thing we have going for us, is that the new guys flop and go under, as a result of not being able to manage their business properly. to show them this site, would eliminate 90% of the development pains, and as a result, we would all be working for minimum wage(some of u guys already do) the answer is NO, a thousand times no
Old 03-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator

First I find out if they have a computer.
If they say no, then I tell them about lawnsite.com If they say yes, then I don't tell them.
just kidding

We never really have the opportunity to tell direct competitors about this site. We have told dealers about it though.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I cant answer the poll... because my answer would be "Sometimes".

If I meet someone who is professional, polite and respectful... YES I tell them about LS..... on the other hand, if they are scrubbish.. HE** NO...... Note that by scrubbish, I mean sloppy looking (personnell, equipment & work), unprofessional, and just overall not concerned with quality of work or satisfaction of their customers.

I have learned tons here, but even without the knowledge I've gained on LS, I knew that professional appearance and concern for the satisfaction of my customers was important.

Lazer Z/HP 23HP Kawi, 52"
Ultra-Vac
Scag 48"/14HP Kohler Belt Drive WB
Stihl FS85r Trimmer
RedMax EB7000 BP Blower
ECHO PB750-T BP Blower
Little Wonder 8hp Blower
Echo CS3000 Chainsaw
6'6" x 12' open Trailer.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tell then were it might help them know how to charge and from becoming lowballers.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with Navigator. It depends on who they are...

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've told quite a few here in Spartanburg, because i knew i'd be moving in May. I'm not telling any of the LCO's in the area where i'll be moving, because IT'S MINE..... ALL MINE!

Quite the diabolical scheme uh?
Old 03-06-2004, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't tell them either. This is MY little gold mine so i'm not telling anyone!! However, if i meet someone at another part of the state where i'm gaining cert points, then i might mention it to them, but first i make sure they live no where near me!

I wonder how many of the members that answered, "yes i tell my comp..." is really truthful.
"To have a nice, green, weed free lawn is a LUXURY. This holds true for a Cadillac pick-up. We don't have to have one, we just want it! Our Cadillac owning customers want the nice lawn. They paid for the Caddi, why not the lawn?" The moral here folks is, Charge Accordingly!

http://www.gardenplace.com/main.asp?page_id=38
www.j-thomas.com
www.weedalert.com

Last edited by Doster's L & L; 03-06-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell them where I get my blades for five bucks each.......after the place is sold out of them.
Crawdad
Old 03-06-2004, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I try to avoid knowing them I am friendly and honest so knowing them would put me in a position where if one of their customers were to come to me I would let them know. Since I do want to grow and I do want to take large market share I think its better not to know the people you are beating on the estimates and whoís lawns you just took. Some times you do get a client that has never had a lawn service but the vast majority of the time that was some one elseís account. I donít know why they lost it and I donít care this is business and for me its simpler if the competition doesnít exist some preach here that competition doesnít matter well I take it a step further in my eyes there is none and if they now grew a face it gets more difficult to do my job and build my company.