Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2004, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yellow Pages will definitely be renewed

This is the first sunny, real nice day of the year here in the Dallas area. I am just swamped with people wanting estimates. I can barely keep up. The battery on my cell phone is dead and I'm home charging it right now, otherwise I'd still be out doing proposals. I decided today I'm advertising in all three of the local directories next year.

Who knows? I may actually end up making money in year two.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 03-06-2004, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

YP helped me a lot, you should get a phone charger that plugs into your cigarette lighter couldnt live without mine.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I heve been waiting for the new yellow books to get here. It has my new ad in it. They need to hurry up. Going to be near 75-80* this week.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: Yellow Pages will definitely be renewed

Quote:
Originally posted by DFW Area Landscaper
I am just swamped with people wanting estimates. I can barely keep up. The battery on my cell phone is dead and I'm home charging it right now, otherwise I'd still be out doing proposals.
You might want to spend less time pursuing your alleged "tax evading" local business owners and get to the store to buy a cell phone charger for your vehicle. You'll make more money that way alone.

I'm sorry DFW, I just had to give you some crap about that one. Nothing personal.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Re: Yellow Pages will definitely be renewed

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Scott
You might want to spend less time pursuing your alleged "tax evading" local business owners and get to the store to buy a cell phone charger for your vehicle. You'll make more money that way alone.

I'm sorry DFW, I just had to give you some crap about that one. Nothing personal.
Maybe even spring for an extra battery to with all that $ your going to be making..
Old 03-07-2004, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Yellow Pages will definitely be renewed

Quote:
Originally posted by DFW Area Landscaper
This is the first sunny, real nice day of the year here in the Dallas area. I am just swamped with people wanting estimates. I can barely keep up. The battery on my cell phone is dead and I'm home charging it right now, otherwise I'd still be out doing proposals. I decided today I'm advertising in all three of the local directories next year.

Who knows? I may actually end up making money in year two.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Yea, but how many of those are you actually landing?
54" Lesco Ztwo
52" Hydro Viking WB
48" Hydro Viking WB
36" Belt Encore WB
36" Exmark Metro
20" Snapper
2 Stihl FC75 edgers, 2 Stihl FS80 trimmers, Echo SRM2400 trimmer, Stihl 600 blower, Stihl 550 blower, Stihl BR420 blower, Stihl HS80 hedge trimmers, Echo HC-150 hedge trimmers, Stihl HL 75 Pole hedge trimmer, Echo Pole chain saw
Old 03-07-2004, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

What are you guys paying for these ads, and how big are they? Had any luck? Only thing i see wrong is that you will get calls from all over town. Any suggestions.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi DFW Area Landscaper,

Congratulations on your advertising and thanks for sharing with us the positive response you found!
Old 03-12-2004, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

my ad is $163 a month credit card ad. i got 20 new customer last year.. i could of got more but i have a full time job also that's a hr and 10 minutes from my house.... it a credit card size ad.. works wonders.. i expect to talk 20 more customer this year.. i changed my work scheduled to be off on mondays and work the overnight shift on friday... should help a lot.. other days i work 5pm-2am... i had one helper last year that worked 60% of the time.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just thought I would post a follow up. I am not planning to do any more yellow pages advertising. Keeping the route tight and drive time low does not work out with yellow pages. Not only that, but I paid $1,822.00 for a third page ad with 2" anchor. Picked up 7 regular mowing customers. 3 of the 7 are in undesirable locations, but because the schedule isn't full, we'll keep them for a while.

The book was delivered in September of last year. Landed two accounts last year. This year, we've landed five more. Four of the five were landed during the spring rush.

I haven't gotten a call from the yellow pages in over a month. I think that's terrible for the middle of May.

Door hangers are the way to go. But the response from door hangers at this time of year is terrible too.

Next year, druing the spring rush period, I'll be turning down all the non-recurring work or trying to line it up for May 1st on. The door hangers were working like magic earlier this spring, but we weren't able to get any out because we were doing all the non-recurring work, like shrubs, beds, etc. HUGE mistake.

Later,
DFW ARea