Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2004, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

lombardi, me figuring out how long it takes me to do things, is a great starting point. when i said, "living large", i meant simply that, with my overhead being about a billion dollars less an hour than the rest of you, i can take on little projects like 2 yards of mulch, and as i said, grossing $240, twice a day=$480. if i minus the cost of material and fuel, it brings me down to about $390 for the day. minus my operating costs of around $50, that leaves me $340 for the day, times that by 6 days, i'm i'm dragging in over 2 grand a week, after costs, by myself, working max 8 hrs a day. i don't know what you need, but i can live just fine on that. being primarily a solo act, and not having a mortgage on my equipment, does have its advantages. curious pete, if i order 2 yds of mulch from you, brought in the same fashion as the job i did yesterday, how much will you charge?
Old 03-07-2004, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Pete
I'd think charging the customer $20/yard for mulch you pay $12/yard for, and $30/yard to spread is a bit more fair.......
Whoa Pete ... we buy it in at 12 dollars a yard. There are overhead cost involved in storing a pile of 200 yds, machinery to load it etc etc.. and because of our buying power when you purchase over 1200 yds per season should we then feel obligated to pass on those savings to the customer? I have no problem sleeping at night buying it in at 12 and retailing it for 40.
If your labor rate is $30 thats fine..ours is more. Bottom line is your in business to make a profit. Thats what's great about the free world.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kris
Whoa Pete ... we buy it in at 12 dollars a yard. There are overhead cost involved in storing a pile of 200 yds, machinery to load it etc etc.. and because of our buying power when you purchase over 1200 yds per season should we then feel obligated to pass on those savings to the customer? I have no problem sleeping at night buying it in at 12 and retailing it for 40.
If your labor rate is $30 thats fine..ours is more. Bottom line is your in business to make a profit. Thats what's great about the free world.
If you buy it for $12 and store 200 yards, it's you with the problem and not me, that's crazy. I get it for $12/yard, and buy as little as 2 yards and get it delivered for $25. Naturally, the customer pays the delivery charge, just at they would from the Garden Center. Furthermore, when the garden centers all sell it for about $18 to $25 a yard with a small $30 truck charge, why would anyone pay $40/yard from you?
Furthermore, recheck your math, I said $30/yard to spread, and bobby did it in 50 minutes. That's about $70/hour, which is fine with me.................
DP
Old 03-08-2004, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We are the garden center..and the rest of your post makes no sense at all. We're crazy for having 200 hundred yards on hand to sell and install? Ya Ok Pete... There has been days when 200 yards go out.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also was shocked at what you charge, but I do know that from NJ through New England we are talking about a higher cost of living/pay scale. To do 2 Yards I have moved away from Wheel Barrows to improve my efficiency. A 17 SF Dump Trailer pulled by a tiny 14HP 34" tractor gives me access to just about anywhere and improves capacity per load. To just dump mulch in a bed my charge would have been 40-45$ p/hr plus the cost of mulch.
accesses. Prob 45 labor (1 hr) plus mulch cost and maybe a slight deliv charge.
Mulch isn't rocket science work and if someone else is doing it significantly faster and cheaper (vet still making good money) they will prosper. This type f job is perfect for a part timer.
Pay him $10 p/hr while you are on another $45 p/hr job
Gross $35+$45 or $80 vice $45 p/hr. A good part timer is something every solo guy should consider IMHO.
For mulch jobs 4CY, and higher I use a compact loader to load
the 17SF dump trailer. Last Saturday I had ONE part timer putting in 3.0-3.5 Cy p/hr. No shoveling, just raking.
As a solo your biggest enemy is efficiency.
Using tools to improve this efficiency/productivityshould be your goal.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

and increase overhead by double/tripple. then i'll be like that hamster, running on that wheel, running, running, running......getting nowhere.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kris
We are the garden center..and the rest of your post makes no sense at all. We're crazy for having 200 hundred yards on hand to sell and install? Ya Ok Pete... There has been days when 200 yards go out.
Well, I'm sorry. I can seem to find where you said "you" were the garden center. I assumed you were a LCO. Naturally, not knowing you are the Garden center makes my post incorrect.
Anyway, in NJ the absolute best mulch money can buy is still under $30/yard. So, more power to ya that you can get $40/yard for yours. That just won't fly in NJ........
DP
Old 03-08-2004, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobbygedd " $140 for 2 yards"
--------------------------------------------

I buy Ceder mulch for $30. a 3.85 cubic feet, sell it for $ 75.00. I hope I was making a very good profit. Maybe WE need to rethink what we are charging. Thank you for this infofmation.

CULTURAL LANDSCAPE

LANDSCAPE AND LAWNCARE
Old 03-08-2004, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by culand
Bobbygedd " $140 for 2 yards"
--------------------------------------------

I buy Ceder mulch for $30. a 3.85 cubic feet, sell it for $ 75.00. I hope I was making a very good profit. Maybe WE need to rethink what we are charging. Thank you for this infofmation.

I guess we must have smarter consumers in NJ. They can buy Cedar mulch for $28/yard themselves at the local garden center. Delivery is $30, regardless of the amount. Buying 10 yards would cost them $31/yard, inclulding delivery........Hmmmmmmmmmm, guess I couldn't sell it them for $75/yard.........
I gotta move to another state, or get dumber customers........
DP

CULTURAL LANDSCAPE

LANDSCAPE AND LAWNCARE
Old 03-08-2004, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

doctor pete, you lost me on that one. do you sell cedar mulch for $75 a yard? how much do you charge for double ground root mulch? we charge $88 a yard for cedar mulch.