Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2004, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

one gate or two ?

Should I buy a trailer with one gate or two? It would cost $150 to add a second gate. I thought it might be easier to unload my 36 walk behind instead of moving my ztr every time I needed just the walk behind.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am a solo operator, so I only use one of my mowers at a time, with very few stops where I would need both. I had a 14' with one gate and would always be planning ahead which mower I would need next trying to save time loading and unloading. So I broke down a bought a 18' trailer with two full size gates. It really has helped out with more than just the mowers. I can put my spreader on and off with the mowers loaded cause the side gate is so wide, and other equipment too, like my wheel blower, aerator and such. I can even load my 62" Toro Z in the side gate if I had to. (probably wide enough for a 72" if I had one) I believe you will appreciate a side gate if you get one. I picked up my trailer with electric brakes for $1250 new. Marc
Old 03-06-2004, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should definately think about going with the side gate
and get it as wide as you can. I wish that I had gotten my
trailer with a side gate now.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gilla, same here. In fact, I am going to look into having a side gate added to my 14' pretty soon, now that I have a WB. Sure would be nice. But the real thing that bothers me is placing my ZTR out of harms way when I use the WB. A side gate would help eliminate that concern.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

We are just starting to build my trailer. Got the axles, springs, ect last Thursday. The steal will be in on Monday. I looked at several trailers and really liked the side gate. So we are building one. I don't really like the fact that it is 4' high so I am going to split it in half and hinge it. So it will only stick up 2' when in transport. But will fold out to 4' for unloading. The trailer is going to be 16' long with an 18" beavertail. That way I figure my back tailgate will only have to be 3' long and wont be such a pain to lift all the time. Like I said I saw alot of different trailers I liked, but to get one the way I wanted it it would be pricey. Materials to build it myself are around $1,000-$1,100. My one uncle owns a welding shop. My other uncle has a body shop. Sometimes family members come in handy.
"Grass is what saves and holds the water that keeps life good and going. ... It keeps the falling rain from flushing away. Blades of grass take water from the air and transpire it into the ground. That works the other way around too. Because grass blades help put water back into the air so that rain can fall again" - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-06-2004, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

there are many of times that I wish I had a side gate
Old 03-06-2004, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gravedigger5
I am a solo operator, so I only use one of my mowers at a time, with very few stops where I would need both. I had a 14' with one gate and would always be planning ahead which mower I would need next trying to save time loading and unloading. So I broke down a bought a 18' trailer with two full size gates. It really has helped out with more than just the mowers. I can put my spreader on and off with the mowers loaded cause the side gate is so wide, and other equipment too, like my wheel blower, aerator and such. I can even load my 62" Toro Z in the side gate if I had to. (probably wide enough for a 72" if I had one) I believe you will appreciate a side gate if you get one. I picked up my trailer with electric brakes for $1250 new. Marc
What type of trailer and where did you buy it for that price?
Old 03-07-2004, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Side Gate

Anyone have any pics of their side gate design,and what are the pros and cons,Some lawns I do I have to back the ZTR off to get to the 21 inchers or break my back lifting them up over the rail. THANX
The Solution To All Your Lawn & Garden Needs
Old 03-07-2004, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Well it looks like the side gate is worth the extra $150 . Thank you for your help .
Old 03-07-2004, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

pines, My trailer is a Bilt-rite brand made in Sikeston Mo. I purchased it from Hughes Bros. Trailers in Auxvasse Mo. There are a lot of trailer manufacturers in Sikeston, but this was one of the better looking as far as quality that I have seen come from there.

sodzilla, the beaver tail idea I like, I had one on my 14" trailer and really liked it. As far as the side gate being folded in half, I have been contemplating that myself. Not too big of a problem except with my leaf vac hanging off the back of my truck, the gate gets in the way of the hose. If if folded in half it would work great.