Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2004, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How much work are we losing?

I was just thinking about this as I answered a question in the homeowners section. How much work are we losing by making this site a public forum?

Homeowners, business owners, propery owners are coming on here and see how to do certain things in their lawn and landscaping areas without having to hire on the local LCO. They learn step by step on how to seed a lawn, fertilization requirements, landscaping installation, etc. Are we hurting ourselves?

Or, do the number of potential customers that come on here are so small that it doesn't affect us that much or none at all? Are they customers that are do it themselves and probably wouldn't hire us in the first place?

Just a question I am asking fellow LCO's.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think it has much affect at all. There will always be DIYers in every trade out there. Probably more in this industry because it doesn't take an Einstein to run a mower.
I do a lot of things around the house myself such as painting, minor carpentry, plumbing etc. I do so because I enjoy it and I know how much I am saving by doing it myself.
I think that a lot of people will try to do some things on their own first and then realize that it is best left to a professional.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that none of my customers, or potential customers for that matter, would find this site nearly as fascinating as any of us do.

Those people hiring out lawn care don't have an interest in doing their own yard work let alone spending time researching how to do it themselves. The homeowners on this site are those that enjoy tending to their landscape themselves and probably wouldn't dream about hiring the work out anyway.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of my customers are people who don't have time, can't because of health, or just don't like doing what I do. Many of them have their own mowers and equipment to do it they just don't like to do it. So I don't think it is hurting my business at all.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont have a lot of people that come on this board that come from where I am.

I know there are a few people from my city that frequent this board, but not enough
Old 03-07-2004, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If anything, it may help us. If they see some of the postings about "scrubs" ect. It may make them more aware of what to look for when choosing a lco. Not just a cheap price.
Lawn Service Divisions
Warren - Harrison Twp. - Detroit - Lenox - St. Helen
(586) 634-2904 (313) 885-9090 (989) 443-4380
Old 03-07-2004, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"give a man a fish, he will eat today, teach a man to fish, he will eat always." whoever wrote that, did not own a fish market. the fact is, everybody owns a computer. i get hired alot of times because, "i just can't get it to look right." this is what the customer tells me. places like home depot off classes on" how to", because they sell the products that are required for the project. you don't see mcdonalds offering "how to" classes on paver work, because they don't sell pavers. our product is out service, alot of it consists of our knowledge. we give this away, meanwhile we get nothing in return. and, in some cases i'm sure, the homeowner who was gonna hire a proffessional, learns how to here, and does it himself. so, my answer is, allowing homeowners here, is bad for business
Old 03-07-2004, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are 652,000 hits for "Plant Grass Seed" on Yahoo. I don't think we're giving any info away here that isn't available on thousands of other web sites.

Old 03-07-2004, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you thought this was bad for business, that goes for the rest of search engines.

Try going on yahoo, google.com and other search engines on topics like

Lawn care, fertilizing, aeration.

You will see TONS!!!!
Old 03-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Banned

Ive found even if most people read this, they still have no clue what they are doing. I dont feel threatened in the least bit about losing customers due to the internet.