Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2004, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

is honesty the best policy?

i was just looking at that guy's thread, requesting a cancelation notice, and before i could reply, i have a question. should you be honest? if u have a client who is cheap, and always lookin for extras for free or low price, and you had it with them, do you give this as the reason for cancelling? if you have one continously late on payments, do u give this reason for cancelling? are you brutally honest, or try to let them go, "gently?" though things will be done differently now, i have in the past cancelled service in the following manner: just stop showing up, don't return thier phonecalls. make up a lie, say we are downsizing. tell them they don't pay promptly, and i aint no credit card company. tell them i have a health condition. well, are u honest or not?
Old 03-07-2004, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actual letter sent:

I regret to inform you that due to a change in the nature of my business, I will no longer be providing lawn maintenance services for your residence. Maintenance services will cease effective immediately.

I appreciate the opportunity to serve you over the last year. I wish you the best and thank you.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just Be Honest, Tell them that you can't work for Break even or a loss anymore.
John
Old 03-07-2004, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honesty ALWAYS! This is a reflection of yourself, not the customer. It will payoff in the long run and allow you to know you did the right thing.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm honest when I can be. But I won't be brutally honest if it will only hurt someone. For instance, if a customer doesn't pay because they are broke, I'd probably go with "I've had a change in schedule and can no longer provide lawn service for you". If a customer doesn't pay because they are playing a game and wasting my time I will get to the point rather quickly. BTW, there is no grace period with me. If the check is not in my mailbox by the day before their next scehduled mowing, they get skipped. The only customers that get away with it are my year - round regulars and they are regulars because they pay.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

so parker, if they are a pain in the butt, and this is the reason you are terminating thier service, you will tell them, "your service is being terminated, because you are a nuisence?"
Old 03-07-2004, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am blatantly honest. I have said in the past...

"I am very sorry, but I am not your bank" (slow payers)
"Not everyone can afford me" (el cheapos)
"I can't charge you enough" (job ain't worth my while)
"I don't have the time to do all this" (wanting too many free extras)
Old 03-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

This is a case where I don't think honesty is the best policy.
Although it would feel good to tell these types of customers the exact truth as to why they were dropped, what actually is gained by this?

Nobody likes to be reminded about their faults. Whether they are a late payer, a cheapo, or a chronic complainer, they still aren't going to like to be told this. All this will do is a leave a bad taste in their mouth about your company.

We just dropped a lady last week. I sent out a nice cancellation notice. Although I was dying to tell this lady what I actually thought about her, I instead opted to tell her we were consolidating our routes and wouldn't be servicing her immediate area any more.

This lady is a doctors wife, a member of the country club... What benefit would we have gained if I would have told her we were dropping her because she is a PITA? NONE..
Old 03-07-2004, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rod - don't forget "Our goal is to see you happy. Since we have fallen short of our goal in keeping you happy (by the numerous nuisance complaints you regitered), I believe its in both of our best interests if you seek the services of another qualified professional" Client who couldn't be pleased no matter what!
Old 03-07-2004, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Word of mouth helps or hurts with equal force. I wouldn't lie for fear of being caught in the lie. I wouldn't be rude for fear of negative word of mouth issues. That said a clever way of saying it like the one Turfdude offered gets my vote.