Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2004, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda HRC215SXA won't start

I have a commercial Honda HRC215SXA. It has always worked all of the time. At the end of last year, the mower didn't want to start for some reason. The next week after trailering it around, it started working again. I had the same problem a month later. I took it to a dealership and they replaced the plug wire and boot. It started working again. This weekend I was using it and halfway through the day it stopped starting again! It started later that day. I have cheked all connectiongs and they are all in tact. I have a feeling that there is some loose electrical connection, but I don't have a clue what it is. The dealership can't figure it out either.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

put a spark plug in it that runs hotter

fixed my com jd 21 like that
Old 03-08-2004, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

When it does not start pull the plug wire and put on a known good plug that you ground to the block and check to see if you have spark, you can see it jump accross the electrode. I would stick with the reccomended heat range plug, but a new plug is cheap to eliminate from the possible problems. . I have seen ignition modules quit working when they get hot, this test above will check that].
Old 03-24-2004, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I doubt this is a spark plug issue. Honda has a low oil shutoff switch and if you are on an incline, even a mild grade, sometimes the engine will cut off. Disconnect the yellow wire by the start switch, you will see it in the bundle of wires that goes into the side of the motor. Make sure you have a good oil level first though, and reconnect it when you are off the hill.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Its never had problems starting on hills. The only time I have ever had the problem is on the flat. I took it to a dealer and they said they've never seen this before. They don't think it is the coil though because when it goes bad, it won't run at all.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Did you check for spark when it quites or not?
Old 03-28-2004, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

When a coil is going bad they can sometimes quit working when they get hot and then when it cools down it starts working again. Not all "bad" coils quit completely before they are bad. That is why dishboy asked you to check for spark as soon as it dies. The dealer should have known this and replaced the coil for you. To verify a coil is bad or if you have a wire grounding it out is to disconnect the ground wire from the coil completely and run the engine and see it it dies when it gets hot. If it runs fine for 30 minutes or more then the coil may be good and then you can check for wires grounding out. But if the engine gets hot and dies, check to make sure at that time if you are getting fire. If there is no fire when the ground wire is disconnected,you definitely have a bad coil.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I checked for a spark, and it did not spark when grounded. In response to the previous reply, the mower has never died. It has only stopped starting (just to throw in another strange twist).
Old 03-29-2004, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Give us more info. Does it not start when it is hot or cold. Again, when it does not start does it have spark. If you have spark pull the aircleaner and make sure the choke is closing all the way. If it is running lean it may run but not restart because when engines are hot they seem to be lean out even more. You may have a partually blocked fuel passage, dirty air cleaner or a intake leak etc changing your air\fuel mixture.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

When the mower does not run, it does not spark. When the mower does run it does spark. The mower has never died. As far as I remember it has always started cold. The choke works completely. I did notice that to get it to spark, you have to turn the throttle to the run position (there is a small wire running to a piece just before the carb that intersects the fuel hose). Could that sensor malfunction?