Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2004, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 years experience?

In my state I have to have 2 years experience to get my licenses. It also says in the experience and qualifications section that if I have a licenses that I can use that as a transfer to my state in place of the experience. My question is if I go to a state that doesn't require the 2 years working under someone get a license, then can I get the licenses in my state? Has anyone done this?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That may work, back in 89 i moved from mass to maine to start a LCO, my mass licence was good in maine ( I turned it in and they gave me a maine licence ) Then when I moved back in mass they wouldnt take my maine licence so I had to re-take the test to get my mass licence back, which didnt make too much sence.

If you need 2 years experince to get a licence then how do you get your licence to apply when your working for someone? I dont get it. I like the idea to have guys work for someone, alot like a plumbers licence. Youll learn far more and be a better company because of it.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did phrase it wrong. It should have said 2 years working for someone who is licenced
Old 03-09-2004, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to take the test in both states but if I took it in a different state that didn't require the working for someone who was licenced passed it then I passed my states test I could get the licence in my state without working for someone for 2 years.Will this work?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

BUMP

Any opinions or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old 03-12-2004, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

It sounds like your qualifications are the same as in MI. There is a way around the two years experience. It is actually up to the discretion of the Department of Ag rep in your state to decide if you can handle the responsibility. Some things that may help to bypass the two years may be
1)College in a related field (even Science)
2)Work for a previous company that would have involved weed or insecticide management on site, not necessary to be a fertilizing company
3)Experience on your own lawn or family lawns.

A lot of times they are looking for a good reason to trust that you will be responsible with the license. The more information about any experience you may have had could help. Good luck!
Marc
Old 03-12-2004, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lizard, where in MI are ya?
Old 03-12-2004, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the response. Not sure what they would be looking for as far as prior experience is consirned. I have worked for a condo complex when just out of high school that we did the spraying on and a couple tree companys in the past. Not sure if they were licensed to spray or not. Also have some collage credit from when in the army. Probabily not related to spraying though. I guess I need to do some indepth questioning to see what qualifies in my state.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

South Of Grand Rapids