Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2004, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

spray on top of Scotts treatment?

I was out spraying a lawn today when a neighbor asked me about spraying his lawn. He told me that he had already spread some Scott's fert with crabgrass control. The ai. was pendamethalin 1.95%. I mentioned that what i'm spraying is more highly concentrated than the scotts, which is penda as well. He asked if it would hurt the lawn if i sprayed a full rate on top of it. I told him probably would, but maybe a half rate should do good and not hurt it. Also he asked about doing fert on top of this too. What do you think? How bout the extra chemical, too?This is a fescue lawn, btw. Thanks.
"To have a nice, green, weed free lawn is a LUXURY. This holds true for a Cadillac pick-up. We don't have to have one, we just want it! Our Cadillac owning customers want the nice lawn. They paid for the Caddi, why not the lawn?" The moral here folks is, Charge Accordingly!

http://www.gardenplace.com/main.asp?page_id=38
www.j-thomas.com
www.weedalert.com
Old 03-10-2004, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

if he doesnt trust he will get good control from the scotts why did he use it in the first place? i wouldnt do either app now. wait till its time for next fert app and in the meantime spot hit any germinated cg with drive.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"To have a nice, green, weed free lawn is a LUXURY. This holds true for a Cadillac pick-up. We don't have to have one, we just want it! Our Cadillac owning customers want the nice lawn. They paid for the Caddi, why not the lawn?" The moral here folks is, Charge Accordingly!

I love the Quote and I agree with bowerj.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If he already applied a 1.95% Pendi, then he has to be up near 2 lbs AI now. I wouldn't touch it until 4-6 weeks has passed.

1.95%? or .95%?

Steve
Old 03-10-2004, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the comment, precisioncut. I have noticed a few people using the phrase, "Charge Accordingly" in a few posts from time to time. I like to think they like my signature too.

Thanks for the help. I don't put much stock in the walmart versions of lawncare, like scotts, or other residential use herbicides. This is why i doubted it's strength and thought i may get away with a lil extra on top. If any of you have more advice, please lemme hear it.

www.j-thomas.com
www.weedalert.com
Old 03-11-2004, 06:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any time you use a regulated product, you are required by law to follow label rates - even if this is a combination fertilizer. Even if you want to re apply at half rate, that may not be an option. Explain this to the neighbor so he doesn't think you're blowing him off and then goes and asks some one else to do the same thing.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Even though the customer showed you the bag with the %AI, it might be prudent to pass on this one. Don't take for granted that he applied it at the proper rates. If he applied too much, your app at the proper rate may prune the roots and who will he point the accusing finger at ? My experience with those type customers is that they will attempt to do "additonal" treatments between yours. When that happens I make them sign a waiver releasing me from any liability. If they don't, I cancel their service.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll let him know that after sleeping on it, i decided not to do the half rate. Thanks for the great advice!!!

www.j-thomas.com
www.weedalert.com
Old 03-11-2004, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in agreement with everyone else.
#1) typical homeowner will apply twice as much as label recommends (if a little is good, alot is better mentality)

#2) did he apply a uniform app? probably not..lawn begins to show stripes he's gonna blame you, not himself.

#3) general rule is the last guy on the lawn takes the blame for whatever was done before he got there.

I'd give him a price and tell him I would get started in 4-6 weeks
Old 03-11-2004, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
ALL Pre emerge labeled to control crab and goose grass on fesidential lawns WILL ROOT PRUNE, THE DEGREE OF ROOT PRUNNING DEPENDS ON PRODUCT AND RATE APPLIED!
Primarly work with cool season turf