Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2004, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Scalping bermuda lawns...

Agree to do my first scalping job next week. 20K sq.ft. Lots of henbit and other various weeds on a bermuda lawn. Average grass height of about 2 1/2". I figured I was going to have to make 2 passes with an accelerator bagger. I have a 36" exmark w/b. Landfill is right around the corner. I told her $460, but that includes hauling off various items like bricks, dead wood, etc (not that much). Maybe 30 minutes of work to load the BS. Does that sound fair? Keep in mind I will have to bag at least the first pass, if not the second. I am afraid I am going to lose my ass with hauling and fees. Oh well, find out early next week! Just wanted to get another opinion on it. Does getting a new charcoal grill thrown in count for anything? Thanks. Jim
Old 03-11-2004, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that that is a very good price!!!!

You are making out like a bandit.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Not the response I was expecting Lawndoctor. Now I feel bad....it is a single mother of 3!!
Old 03-12-2004, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The only way you're going to truly scalp it is with a reel mower. The golf course near my home did it in the fall and it's coming in now. Only you can decide the money. Is she a regular lawn customer? What is your time, disposal fees, in other words what will it cost you to do it and how much do you need to make a profit. That should be your first thought.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can scalp with a rotary mower easily. I use my White ZTR with catcher and 21" Comm Honda and get it down very low. Watch out if you got henbit, if you have a lot of it, that stuff really retains moisture and can get heavy. I do scalping to make some $$$ while it is slow. Nasty dirty work. Seems like it is always the windiest days too. Grass and dirt blowing everywhere. Consider wearing a mask and eye protection. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck.

"Impossible" is a word found only in the dictionary of fools. -Napoleon
Old 03-13-2004, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: D/FW MID-CITIES: Richland Hills, North Richland Hills, Southlake, Colleyville, Bedford, Hurst, Euless and Keller
Food for thought - maybe...This taken form a local Dallas Fort Worth Green Industry Guru.

Scalping
Should you scalp your lawn in the spring? There may be some gardening technique thatís dumber than scalping your lawn in the spring, but I doubt it. I take it back. Discarding all organic litter and leaving bare beds is dumber - but scalping is a close second. The ingenious procedure of scalping the lawn in the early spring, bagging the clippings and leaves and placing them on the curb to be hauled off and buried in a landfill is a waste of time, a waste of money and poor horticulture on any commercial landscape or home yard. Everything that results from scalping is negative. Scalping and removing leaves exposes bare soil to direct sunlight which burns out the humus and microbes on the soil surface. Because the sunlight can hit the soil, it also triggers the germination of weed seed. Scalping also removes valuable organic matter, the best natural fertilizer of all, and the operation is hard on you and the lawn equipment. Why do people do it? Beats me - if you find out, let me know.

-=KC=-

At the end of the day you should play back the tapes of your performance. The results should either applaud you or prod you, and you must get good at one of two things: planting in the spring or begging in the fall.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want your Bermuda lawn to look like crapola, and be rough and slow to cut all summer, don't scalp it.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Yo Gene, question:

When you say "scalp" do you mean lower than 1"? Is there a specific height that you set your deck for or do you just eyeball it?

I've always followed OSU's recommendation of cutting bermuda at 1" before green up, then 1.5" in Spring, 2" in Summer, and then 2.5" in the Fall.

Even with my deck at 1" on some uneven lawns I wind up cutting down to dirt in some places and I hate that but I do it anyway.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BULLGRAZER

Scalping
Should you scalp your lawn in the spring? There may be some gardening technique thatís dumber than scalping your lawn in the spring, but I doubt it. I take it back. Discarding all organic litter and leaving bare beds is dumber - but scalping is a close second. The ingenious procedure of scalping the lawn in the early spring, bagging the clippings and leaves and placing them on the curb to be hauled off and buried in a landfill is a waste of time, a waste of money and poor horticulture on any commercial landscape or home yard. Everything that results from scalping is negative. Scalping and removing leaves exposes bare soil to direct sunlight which burns out the humus and microbes on the soil surface. Because the sunlight can hit the soil, it also triggers the germination of weed seed. Scalping also removes valuable organic matter, the best natural fertilizer of all, and the operation is hard on you and the lawn equipment. Why do people do it? Beats me - if you find out, let me know.

humus and microbes? what are they and how do they benefit the lawn Thanks!
Old 03-14-2004, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm with you Josey. I think everyone has a different idea of "scalping". I am taking the lawn from 2 1/2" to 2" on the first pass and then down to 1 1/2" on the second pass. I think some folks ideas of scalping is taking it down to the dirt. There are a few folks in my neighborhood that do that and their lawns look pretty decent, but not any better than anyone elses....including the ones who burn their lawn, literally. Their lawns look the same too.