Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2004, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know how you feel. This is my 22 year doing lawn care. If i were getting in this type of work today i would say NO. I have seen this for the past 3 years, prices are going down and the cost going up every year.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks Scannom and J@R. I know a lady here who was one of the first lco in our area 26 years ago and she said recently the past 3 years has been the worst for her too. But like you said when youve done it for over 2 decades hard to start over again. I really blame it on the repressed area I live in. Heres a good example, last week went to a upscale neighborhood to look at a srub job. This old grouchy looking lady answered the door and I felt mt blood run cold ( u know the kind) I told her I would charge 18 an hour for the trimming and she liked to croaked! She then asked me if I charged 18 a hour for yard mowing and I told her no it was 35 a hour. She then hollered she was not paying that and slammed the door in my face GRRRR and was having a inground pool put in while I was there that was at least a 1.5 yearly salary to me and a new 40 grand auto under the carport. I despise these kind of old tightwads and I hate to say it the worst ive dealt with has been widowed ladies over 50 whoes husband was a Dr lawyer of smeone wealthy and these are the poormouthings jerks to deal with. When I get a call to the golf club (rich) area I will not even go look at the yard have had so many bad experieces with them. or thats the way it is here.

Danny
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The guy that told me this went broke three times before he made it. He owns a gravel pit now and I saw one of his cement mixers today....#89 and I know for a fact that he numbered them in order as he got them.
" The one good thing about being broke is you don't have any thing to lose by trying again."
1. Don't ever tell people what your hourly rate is.
2. If lawn care isn't doing it alone try adding other services like deck cleaning or construction clean-up.
Man after being self employed I would do anything but go to work for some one else. If you absolutely have to get a job say so you don't lose your house try getting a night job so you can still keep your lawn business till you get it going again.
Just my slant on things. I hope it helps.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I feel your pain dude wife helped with truck payments this month fundes are low people dont pay bills on time i know was out today helping ex boss on construction project today for cash to put gas in trucks to plow tonight because i hate useing credit crds hang in thier and continue to chase work i know the feeling loballers out here to but in july and aug i had 50-70 hr weeks so its out thier you have to find it. ggod luck
Old 03-15-2004, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Hay it least you paid your internet bill
Old 03-16-2004, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

To KD, actually I havent paid my internet bill, its laying in the stack with the other bills I cant pay yet LOL I pay my light bill and food first, everything else can just wait. And I to hate usig CC but had to charge 40 bucks of gas today, had no choice. To leadarrrows, you were reading my thoughts about the part time night job and I to HATE the thought of going to work for someone else after being self-employed, the freedom is priceless!

Danny
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 03-16-2004, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your bad luck streak, but this is the time where real men are made. Don't start spewing pity for yourself, and complain about being down and out, and finished. Do the exact opposite! Do hours of research, go talk to people all day long about services. If you are not employed elsewhere now, you have all the time in the world to do this! Make sure to keep yourself and company image respectable. If you have to, drive 15 minutes and start targeting that area. Keep trying, and then if that doesn't work, try again! I agree to not quote jobs n a $18 per hour basis, but give a quote for the job. SO say $20 to mow, not $18 per hour. Customers will run if you use the hour estimates to their faces.
You have to remember that you are only a failure if you stop trying to succeed!
Good luck with your ventures. Hope I didn't come across too harsh, but sometimes that is what it takes.
Go be creative, be different, and set yourself aside from the rest of the LCO's. And in the mean time, be realistic, and get a part time job to help the family survive. There's nothing wrong with doing the LCO part time until it is established enough to be a full time gig. Hang in there, remember God only gives you what he thinks you can handle, so stick with it!
:blob3:
Old 03-16-2004, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Keep your head up and stay committed. If you do good work for a fair price the will come.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to read about your tough times but hang in there don't give up.There is some good advise in this thread.Do what you have to do to save your business and to survive.Get them flyers out and talk to as many people as you can.You might be able to give you customers a small referral if they bring in a new customer for you.
Good luck
Larry

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 03-16-2004, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Danny,

I'm in the same boat as you are. The only difference is that I so mad at myself for not planning. Lets see, This month I have not paid the rent yet, The electric bill is a month behind, Haven't paid the cell phone, Ohh, and the car payment hasn't been made. Even though I really feel the pain, I love what I do. I know there is a demand for what we do, we just have to plan, and make sure it,s on paper. No war is fought without a plan of attack. I sure wish that I didn't have to wonder where I'm going to get all the money to catch up, but now I'm hungry. I am ready to network. Met my potential markets and look diversity in the face. Great Company's weren't built overnight.

Point being, take a stance, understand what you need to to and pick a direction. Spring is right around the corner. When the bills start getting paid your going to look back at this experience and remember the pain that hurt and you'll find a way to never feel that again. I feel hollow know but I have confidence in myself. I myself can relate and I will take this experience to only betters myself and my business. Take the good from the bad and use it as a tool to further things.

I wish the best of luck to ya and to everyone who has everything on the line. All we can do is do what we think is right. Some will fall and that is expected, people give up, but I'm not going to be that one.