Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2004, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

hey there i heared your geting out of the business well let me tell ya doing lawns by your self is one thing you cant make it all by your self time is money right.i only do 1 hospital and 2 trailer parks and make 3,500 per month most trailer parks with 90 tralers 1,000.00mowing twice per month. thats 500.00 per mow 190 trailers is 1,500 per month mowing 2 times per month 750.00 per mowing. but if you wont to sale this equipment the 717 or the other mowers let me know i have a john deere 797 with 72 in deck and a 777 i am saleing with the 72 inch deck all for 9,500.00 or the 777 for 9,000.00 because john deere doesnt take care of my warrentys like they should call me at 1-501-993-6043 ask for joe white if you run acrosss some one interested ok god bless and i wish you the best..
Old 04-08-2007, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

When I Bid I Go By The Job,, I Usally Can Cut A Acre, Trim Edgeand Blow In 50min Or Less I Can Make $40to $45 In That Time Faster Is Better,, I Usally Can Do 8 To 12 Per Day I Would Suggest Bidding By The Job Icharge 25 For 1/2 Acre,,30to35 For 3/4 A Acre,40to45 - 1acre,, But ,when I Cut Acreage It Is 15 To 20 Per Acre..
Old 06-03-2007, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

man ,,,,don't give your dreams man.....if you have too Fine you part time job till you work your way back up with your lawn business,,,,,trust me ,,i've been there and i'm sure some of us in here been there too,,,,just hang tight in there man,,,,Good Luck !!!!
Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

You need to get pumped up, fired up and highly motivated,if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.never say never,pick yourself up and get it done,get that night time job to stay above water ,spend hours seeking new clients,you can do it,believe in yourself make it happen.the easy way is to give up let them pry your dead fingers off your mower before you give up,or give up and remember how you almost made it ,if you only stuck it out,or tried harder.lots of us are at the bottom trying to climb to the top,I only have 133 frost free days to build my mowing /landscaping business but my competition is also challenged by our weather.think positive,make it happen.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Danny, I dont know if you have state homes down there or not, but up here we do in upstate new york, i mean, homes for the mentally retarted. up here their run by the state, and they pay very good for showing up and mowing.
alot of companys dont want to do business with ny when the state budget doesnt pass, we have to wait six to ten months to get your money. but the state pays way.....way over average, just some more ideas.......greg
Old 09-26-2007, 04:11 AM
LawnSite Member

12 years now...

Times are tough...economy low...especially round here. Surprisingly I know some guys up here are charging as much as $70/man hour for straight mowing. I guess it depends on the neighborhood..I don't see that much. I know that I don't get my jobs by sitting on my ass though...I've tried. More of my customers come from word of mouth, business cards, and actually getting out and talking to people. I always try to line up other work too! I'm in the process of repairing an old pond/waterfall, fertilizing, hedge trimming, gutters, a half a dozen weeding jobs, and soon it'll be time to rake leaves I even take jobs such as staining decks or anything else because there's always time to do something else. You never know when we'll get that drought...so I promote anything I'm capable of doing.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

There is failure but that does not mean you are a failure its just situation. Go into landscape installs. Learn the plants and some aspects of design. People pay alot for this service. I do not cut grass but make anywhere from 1500 to 2000 per week landsaping. I work out my home and have a 94 f-150 and trailer with hand tools all paid for. My shed isbehind my house and is full of tools all paid for. Having no overhead I am able to afford an add in phone books. I use a local free paper. And have service magic.com get me bids for 20 30 bucks a pop. I also have a web site that I use for new clients and say hey check out my pics on www.advantagelandscapeflorida.com. Its thru Go-daddy and is cheap as hell. Use modern technology as much as you can to get bids. You get a couple guys pay em under the table and hand em a 1099 if they make over 600 dollars a year. Buy a digital camera take pics of all bids go home design it by hand. Buy Quik books start up edition 2007 and use that to create your estimates and invoices and keep records and all reciepts. Get an accountant to help track and you will see. I can do one job a week take 2 days and the rest of the week off. I know this sounds crazy but with little overhead its easy. I do plan to expand and will start somwe lawn contracts next year but thats to keep my guys full time and have that contractual income coming in looks good on the books. But I intended to get the installs going first and then cut grass as a fill - in. More money in installs.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

The first year I started I put out 400 bids on commercial properties , every thing from stores to apartments to property management companies and I ended up with 40 of them right off the bat then the next year it seemed my bid had stayed in a file and was taken back out and I was called to put in an updated bid and got 10 of those jobs. I what I am saying is if it has grass try to get the job.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Good advice within the last couple of months, but it has been 4 years since this post started!!!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

CAN YOU SAY CATAWBA COUNTY, NC!!!! Hang in there man it is hard but the rewards are great! Struggling myself! Drought, low ballers, and GAS!!! Feel free to ask ?