Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-15-2004, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Just Starting

Can starting in this business delelop into a full time thing? Just testing the water doesn't seem like a very big commitment, but I don't have the resources to get alot of equip. Is a trailer essential or will a pickup do? I can see right now would be the time to start. My first post on here so please be nice. Have found alot of very useful info, thanks to those willing to lend their experience.

Alliance Yard Service
BC Canada
Old 03-16-2004, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Just starting myself. ALLIance, I am going to just use my truck for the time being. 2001 longbed 1500 dodge. Hope it works. But, thenagain, I only have 1 client right now.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

My suggestion is to talor your equipment purchases to match your client needs. If most of you accounts are residential and the equipment is small, a truck bed will do fine for a start. But as size and number of accounts increase you will need more equipment. You can do a lot of work with what can be carried in the bed of a truck. But be aware bigger accounts require bigger/more equipment and a larger hauler. We started off with a S-10 pick up and grew to a 10 ft trailor then added an NPR landscape truck and C-1500 and a 16ft trailor. We still use the S-10. Do not be intimitaded by the "Big Boys" they have their game plan and you will have yours. Money can be made with less than 3k in equipment plus the hauler.

Just my 2 cents

Allen
Old 03-16-2004, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can definitely make this grow into a full time career. Starting out, the most important tool you need is determination. You can start with nothing, and grow into everything you want to be. The only thing to realize, is it will take time, and effort, and research. Sure you can start with a pickup. if and when you need to get something more, then do it. Start with some basics, mower, trimmer, blower, and reinvest everything into the company, so next year, you can get a little better equipment, a few more customers, a little more money to reinvest in the company, and so on and so on.
Everyone (usually) starts small. The big guys you see are the ones who did their homework, put in their time, and have kept at it not letting anyone keep them down.
Good luck with the business. You can learn a ton on here, so use it to your advantage.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

This business can definitely turn into a full time job, but it is a matter of how much you want to do, and the type of services you are going to offer. I would ease into it though. Don't get bogged down with huge payments on equipment, and bills you can't afford if you do not have the work to support it. When I started I was fortunate to pay cash for most of my equipment, I financed very little. Once you obtain more work you can afford to buy more equipment, and bid on bigger jobs. Just my thoughts on getting started in the business.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can definitely do it without the trailer. We still have no trailer and we fit our 36" Exmark and two 21" mowers, weed wacker, blower, ramps and gas cans in my 8 foot bed. Actually, when we started, I didn't have my lisence yet and we still managed by walking/stuffing the 21" in the back of my mom's Blazer. It's nicer to have a truck tho
Old 03-16-2004, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes i started out working out of a truck with no trailer, like the others said work and build on what you have and remember to save for the dry days