Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Customers neighbors and weed eating

Does this drive you crazy, customers neighbor come out and asks you if you can weed eat their hill. They alaways say that they cant do it themselves. So then you give them a price, usually high because were not really in the weed eating business. They think you crazy for charging 25$ for 20 minutes work.

This seems to happen more and more, and I really don't like it. Myv truck says lawncare not weed wacker!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

At $25 for 20-minutes of work, I'd say you are one Nice Guy! Because, if they're not a customer and want a one time trim like that, I'd say $50. If they looked at me funny, I'd hand them a Chet's Rent All card and tell them they can rent a trimmer for $35 and do themselves if they want to save $15. And Yes, I carry Chet's business cards, just for that reason.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
At $25 for 20-minutes of work, I'd say you are one Nice Guy! Because, if they're not a customer and want a one time trim like that, I'd say $50. If they looked at me funny, I'd hand them a Chet's Rent All card and tell them they can rent a trimmer for $35 and do themselves if they want to save $15. And Yes, I carry Chet's business cards, just for that reason.
I like your style!

I try to keep on the good side of customers neighbors, but I don't want to mess my schedule up for them. And I really don't want to weed eat a hill.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's a lot like going to McD's and being asked "would you like french fries with that?"
You can fuss and you can cuss, and you can do whatever you like but next time you come out?
"Would you like french fries with that?"

So I learned the simple answer is No, thank you.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
It's a lot like going to McD's and being asked "would you like french fries with that?"
You can fuss and you can cuss, and you can do whatever you like but next time you come out?
"Would you like french fries with that?"

So I learned the simple answer is No, thank you.
your insane...no french fries? Thats one of the benies to working outside...you CAN eat frenchfries and not gain weight
Old 08-12-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
your insane...no french fries? Thats one of the benies to working outside...you CAN eat frenchfries and not gain weight
Cholesterol
Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Too common. People want to try to do their yard and won't edge or trim. When they see a lawn truck, they get stars in their eyes, and try to downplay the extent of the work that needs to be done. It's their opportunity to fix their yard real quick for a few bucks.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Cholesterol
Food containing cholesterol only comes from animal sources.
Now whether some 'nutritious' fries might cause your body to make some cholesterol is another thing.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
I don't carry Chet's card but I do have a another guy's number in my phone who likes crappy hillsides, jobs where you have to carry a mower down steps and cheap customers. I'd sub him out but he works too slow. Said it takes him an hour to do a city lot.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem with these people is, they do their own lawn. They have no idea how bad it looks, they use a 500 dollar tractor, and think all mowers cost that much. They have a 85 dollar black and decker electric weed eater in their garage with a dead battery, they think all weed eaters cost this much. Their Poulan pro handheld blower was a father's day present, they think all blowers were purchased for us with saved up lunch money.

Reality is, they have no idea how much it costs to run a lawn business, and have no idea how much lawn services actually cost. So someone reluctantly says, yeah I'll weed eat your awful overgrown yard for 25 bucks. And in their heads, its "25 bucks? I could almost buy a weed eater for that". They're clueless, throw a price out that you think is fair, if they decline, it continues to be their problem. All is well in the world.