Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2004, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, we got lucky over here i guess. I dont know any body that ties anything down. I do not see people stack equipment as much as i have seen on here though either. Most people just have small sides on thier trailers. I have had mowers bounce up before (unseen potholes and surprise train track bumps) but nothing too serious to worry about. Plus, if someone else hits my i just call my insurance guy. I have coverage on my truck, trailer, and equipment.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Acute Cut
Plus, if someone else hits my i just call my insurance guy. I have coverage on my truck, trailer, and equipment.

Yeah, and if a peice of equipment does fly off your trailer in an accident and goes through someones windsheild, you don't have to worry about that, since you got insurance and all.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by specialtylc
Yes like Grassfears said . You guys actually strap them down?. I have enough stuff on my trailer that nothing is going to move. You are only going to get an unsecured load fine if it actually falls on to the roadway.

That's a great attitude. Don't worry about what it might do to the car behind you.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i used to never secure my equipment until my mower almost flew off my trailor at some railroad tracks ever since then i invented a mower hold down thats faster than faststraps, it takes all but two sec. to secure and she hasn't moved on me once. not securing equipment on a open trailor with low sides is ignorant, a 500-2000lb machine could kill a whole family if it were ever to fly off!
Redmax EB-7001
6x12 trailer
Echo PB 200 Handheld Blower
7hp Toro Snow Commander
5hp Briggs pump
Tanaka 26" Hedge trimmers
Kee Bed Edger
Honda Tiller
Old 03-17-2004, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The negative on the faststraps is that you have less flexibility in where you park your equipment. My load-out varies often so I need to be able to put stuff on in differing places. I'd like to see a faster attaching tie down strap though.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You really think those nylon straps are going to keep a machine from flying off a trailer!? Uh, Probably not.
If something with enough force takes a mower off there is no stopping them.
I park my wheels between 2x4's and have never had a problem. If I drive where I have to worry about a big machine flying off I better rething my driving habits.
And yes, thats why I insure everything.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TreffertLawnWrx
You really think those nylon straps are going to keep a machine from flying off a trailer!? Uh, Probably not.
If something with enough force takes a mower off there is no stopping them.
If I drive where I have to worry about a big machine flying off I better rething my driving habits.
And yes, thats why I insure everything.

Are you familiar with the word "accident"?. It doesn't have to be your fault, so your driving habits don't have much to do with it.
Is there a chance the straps won't keep the mower on the trailer, yeah. But I feel better knowing that they MIGHT.

And as far as your insurance, I'm sure the family of person in the car where your mower ended up will be really comforted by that.

When I see these kind of responses, I'm kinda glad PA has such tough laws.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gogetter
[B]Are you familiar with the word "accident"?. It doesn't have to be your fault,

Exactly! If its going to happen its goig to happen. Please understand Im not condoning not using straps. However If that mower,trimmer,ect is meant to come off the trailer it doesnt matter if you weld it on, Its going to come off!
Old 03-17-2004, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

last summer I saw a friends lazer Z jump off his trailer when he hit a big pot hole on on off ramp. Always secure the goods.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am in new york specifically on long island and the only equipment that i know of that has to be tied down is our skid steers and other heavy equip. I mean if we had to tie down our machines each time we left a property we would lose so much time. We dont have extreme amouts of distance between our accounts but we do travel quite a bit, how long does it take to tie down your machines and other equipmnet?