Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2004, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!
WERE ALL DOOMED!
REPUBLICANS WILL STEAL YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY!
LAZERS WILL FLY OFF OF YOUR TRAILER AND KILL MILLIONS!
Ok, the far left wing has now had thier voice. We're all gonna die and because i dont tie down my mowers im gonna kill families all over my area. Man, show me statisctics. Show me articles. Dont babble off this emotional liberal mumbo jumbo. Speak to us about facts and not some far fetched fatasy relm where we are all just terrible people who go around trying to get into accidents and aim for moms and her kids.
GEESH! I hate when people spout off some stupid **** without ANYTHING to back it up. That is why i vote republican most of the time. They speak on the FACTS, not preying on emotional fears and what if's. GET A CLUE!
(for those that think this is rather harsh coming from me, sorry. i know i aint normally like this, but a nerve has been struck)
Old 03-18-2004, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I cant believe half the sh*t that flys out of your guys mouths. Honestly how long does it take to take a ratchet strap and strap you mowers down? like 15 seconds. I dont care if you have a walk behind edger, or a gd 72 zero turn. Protect your investment. I mean its common sense, why would you let any piece of equipment slide/smash/slam around in your trailer. Im no physicist but any object crashing into another object causes damage. But no lets let our sh*t slide around and break so we can save a few minutes a day. And for everyone who says "i dont strap my stuff down cause it doesnt budge", well good for you. I will be the one laughing as i drive past you to my next account as you sit there on the side of the road explaining to an officer why you didnt secure you load, or while you pick up the pieces to your broken equipment. At least in my state anything you carry, whether in a trailer or the back of a pickup needs to be secured. IMO even $100 in rachet straps and tie downs is a small investment to be protect your money making investment.
MJLsLawnCareNmore@hotmail.com
Old 03-18-2004, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not worried about my mower flying off my trailer and what not, I just don't want to have it ram the back of my gate and tear some **** up, that costs money and time, and since time is money and taking 10 seconds to strap down my mower could save me days of lost productivity in the long run. I honestly don't care what everyone else does, I was taught to do it right and that's how I'm going to do it. My .02
-rookiemower, awesome idea! That is the best idea I have seen yet for strapping down equipment. Reminds me of that clevis pin setup that trimmer trap has (or had) minus the drilling into the front of your deck. I like it

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 03-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Founder

one to many reports of this thread.... I'm closing it.

Thanks everyone for contributing.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Founder

ok, I opened it back up .... no more personal attacks, name calling... PLEASE?! , thanks
Old 03-19-2004, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chuck:
Sorry, my bad.
All:
Lost my cool, my bad, sorry.
Rookiemower:
I agree with Scag, good pin idea. I may try that one some day if i start securing my equipment. Perhaps as i hire employees and let them run without me, maybe i should have THEM tie down.

I can also see tying stuff down as protecting your investment. I agree that stuff does slide around too much sometimes. I will not however use the airborne lazer idea as the reason to start wratcheting. Protecting it and other equipment from damaging themselves may be a different idea however.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

We have a 12' trailer with 4' mesh sides and a cage upfront. We use bungies and rachets hooked to the mess. With the sides, nothings going to fall off but don't want the equipment torn up. Once we were moving down the street to the next property and we forgot to strap the 21" mowers (several in a row). They rolled backwards and hit the ramp, dang if it didn't break the handle. We weren't even going fast. So we agree...tie it all down!!
Old 03-19-2004, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I welded 40 large washers (3''diam. with a 2'' hole 1/4'' thick) on side rail and floor rail. Took 1hr and 1 can of black paint. looks like a factory job. I can tie things down from any angle. Can hook or unhook in 10sec.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Acute Cut
I will not however use the airborne lazer idea as the reason to start wratcheting.

Acute, my point was that we don't all have Lazers on our trailers. What about the smaller stuff? The 21" trim mowers, and smaller walk behinds? You don't think they could hop an 18" or so rail in an accident?

The first day I picked up my new 36" exmark, I had no experience with pulling a trailer, let alone with stuff on it. I hit a dip in the road, and the mower hopped up so high, I couldn't believe it!
It could have easily cleared the rail, and that wasn't even an accident, just a small dip in the road.
Tore up my handles the first day!

As someone who rode motorcycles for many years, I get extra upset when I see something lying in the middle of the road because of someone else being careless. Hitting something as small as a brick is going to have a pretty big affect on my day compared to someone in a car. So I may take it a little more personal then others.

I will agree that strapping stuff down can suck sometimes because it does eat up time. That's why this site is great because we can share tips on how to do it as efficiently as possible.

Be safe, that's all. Later.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a small strap or bungies to tie down my 21 inch mower and leaf blower.The 48 walkbehind and zero turn rider i usually only tie down if im going on the highway or far away.With the parking brake set in 5 years of hauling with a trailer i have not had a problem not being tied down.I did have a cop stop infront of my house and tell me its illegal to not have them tied down however