Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-17-2004, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have had a change of attitude about lawn care!! Im not going out like this!

Hello, this is a followup of my thread about Im getting out had enough. Let me tell my story of how I came into lawn care. When I was about 8 years old I enjoyed mowing yards so much that I had 9 yards I did during summer vacation for 3 to 5 dollars a yard. dont laugh, this was in 1967. I dont this till graduation when I went to school in Americus to major in business machine maint. When I got out went to work as a tech for the school systems and also was a sub-contractor for all the local repair places. My speciality was the IBM selectrics and several other kinds. I got good at it and I HATED it with a passion! I would come home after work eat super then go back work 16 hous a day. The stress was awful. Well thabks to wal-mart and k-mart for selling calculators for 25 bucks and typewriters for 99 bucks found myself suddenly un-employed in 97. 2 months after my twins were born. Here I am 39 and starting over again. I could not find one single job and got really depressed. I went for a job interview for a janitorial/yard work job for a large church and got turned down. That day was the lowest point of my life. I remember taking my tie off and throwing it in the trash and saying to myself as God as my witness I will never hit this point again! The next day I went and talked to my then pastor who was over the salvation army about who was doing there 3 yards, store,church,and home. I knew he had someone doing them but did not know he was having a problem with him not coming. That day I had 3 yards. Now my equipment you should have seen. A rusty old 85 murray riding mower, a friend give me a old wore out boat trailor that I took scrap lumber and made a 6 by 4 UGLY trailor, and I mean ugly. Had a smoking 88 ply mini-van. and the pastor loaned me a blower and weedeater. Man was I a poor looking LCO. The murray alrady was on its last leg but it made it thru the summer with some bungy straps and j-b weld and lots of talking nice to it. The beginning of the second season I had about a dozen yards and bot a JD Sabte, what a POS. I then sold it and bought me a JD 133 for 1500 (dealer ckearance) which I still have, been great. Also that year bought some weedeatrs and a decent blower plus some echo hedge clippers! I was on my way or so I thought! The 3rd and 4th year got up to 24 yards and leveled off. Most of my yards were 35 to 50 dollar yards from 1 to 1.5 hours. Ok was not getting rich but doing ok. In April I bought ny first 6500 ZTR and I loved it! Then In July bad luck started. I lost several yards due to job transfers and scrubs and it went down from there, down to 8 now. Have never lost a yard though because of poor work Im proud to say. So today I go job searching and checking job listings, heres examples, one job required 2 years college and only paid 7 an hour and many more that had a huge amount of requirements. It really really made me MAd, by gosh Im not going back to a deadend job for some SOB to chew on me all day for 40-50 dollars a day NO WAY I woke my wife up (yeah that is brave) and told her what I was going to do and I get you need a real job and I told her I had a real da$%%$mn job and either support me or get off my A##. She remineded me that she is paying most of the bills and I reminded her I paid for them the 5 years she went to college. Aslo she is a 18 year teacher and hates her job so bad that she is taking anti-depresssants to get thru the day. Do I want a job like this ^&^^& NO I dont. Woman are like children you have to put a belt on them once in awhle. Man that felt good to stand up!!! I know I am in a slump right now and tommorow I might have zero yards but I will go out with a vegeance before I go down like this! I had 24 now Im down to 8 and I want 40 more and will try everything to get them. I think that job search today done me more good than any motivational speech, ,man I dont want no deadend 8-5 job. I might have to get a night part time but would not mind that for a short time.I might come back in 6 months and say I failed but dang it I want go down easy or quitely.

Im baaacckkk with a vengence

Danny and my 8 yards and an attitude to make it big or fail big
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Now THAT'S the attitude to have! Good luck to you!

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 03-17-2004, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a great attitude to me. The attitude of a winner. Good luck and be happy its SPRING, there is work a-foot. Go get it.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear you are going to give it another try! Good luck with it! A side note on your marriage, sometimes you have to step back and realize you guys are a team, and should try to work together. Sometimes, most of the time, it may be hard, but you have to realize you married that person for a reason, and usually, they can help you go a lot farther in life than you can alone. So you may find with working with her, and vice versa, you guys will start to notice things pick up, and turn around for you both!
Good luck, and go get 'em!
Old 03-17-2004, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Re: I have had a change of attitude about lawn care!! Im not going out like this!

Quote:
Originally posted by hardworking-poorman
Woman are like children you have to put a belt on them once in awhle. Man that felt good to stand up!!!
Im baaacckkk with a vengence

Danny and my 8 yards and an attitude to make it big or fail big [/B]
This is PRICELESS!!!!! You are going to make it now!!!!!
Oh i agree, they are like children
John
Old 03-18-2004, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck man...and please respect the wifey!
Old 03-19-2004, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

hello and thanks everyone. been away a day. I got up wensday morning with a whole different attitude than I had tuesday even though only had one yard to do. Got to it about 7 AM and started weedeating and whistling to myself knowing I was not punching a clock. When I got thru with the yard I backed up and looked at it and said to myself, :now Danny this is the kind of work your capable of doing: In last few months I dont feel like I have done the very best I can do, never done a bad job but did not feel good about myself. The customer then walked out to pay me and said excellent, excellet job, looks great, and give me a 5 dollar tip. I then went to a neighbor who was working in his yard, looked about 80 plus years old. and told hime would be glad to help him if I could, told me was going to try and keep doing it himself but took my card. Then went to another neighbor across the street whose yard was in dire need of work. Canme out and started pointing to each srub how she wanted it done, one like Bambi, another like frosty, and .... you get the point. A widowed wife of a lawyer, would not have even went If I had known this. She then told me what SHE would pay and I declined and thanked her and left. NEVER let the customer tell you what they will pay. This makes me get in my truck fast and go! OK so I did not pick up one but Im trying. Had 2 today an 85 dollar one and a 45 dollar one. Got to the first one at 7:50 and left the second one at 11:00 with a 10 dollar tip. 140 bucks for a little over 3 hours I know is not much to you big time lCO but where I live if you make a 100 bucks a day you are crappn* in high cotton. But on the down side the engine on my 133 stared knocking badly after I had just bragged on it yesterday. It did not upset me one bit. not going to let it spoil my attitude to succeed. Dont have any to do tommorow am getting ready for my twins BD party saturday. I cant belive Ive survived 7 years LOL! Eleven more years I can move them outta here!

Danny
echo hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Old 03-19-2004, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good Luck Danny
Old 03-19-2004, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks John, Im either going to make it big or fail big, either way I can say I gave it my best. BTW glad you enjoyed my male chavenistic comments, for some reason my wife does not like them. Im really harmless, I could see me puting a belt on wife even though they need it some times! LOL

Danny
echo hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Old 03-19-2004, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member