Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2004, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fuzzy- any chance you can snap some pics of your box and the unit itself so I can compare?
Old 03-21-2004, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Sure, after I get it installed. Should be tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been informed that the quilty of product is better oredering directly from EZ-Gate manufacturer. There is a heavier spring and plastic insert (which set it apart from the backsaver) in the stainless tube to prevent noise. Sounds as if you get what you pay for.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, I mounted it. Took about an hour just as the directions said. Here's my 2 cents:

-I can lift my gate with 2 fingers, no lie...
-I'm surprised there isn't a safety cable running through the spring (like a garage door one)
-I like the stainless steel tube with a plastic insert to stop any potential rattles.
-I don't like the hook that attaches to the gate. It just doesn't seem like it will be strong enough. I'll replace it with one of those "linky things" that you close.
-Ballard needs to make the screws that attach the clamps together about 1/4" longer. They were a b&tch to connect.

Here's a pic. I see no difference in my J. Thomas one from the other. BTW, I ordered this and another box of stuff and shipping for all was about $18 to NJ.

Old 03-21-2004, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's the box it came in. It was shipped directly from Ballard according to the UPS label.

Old 03-21-2004, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fuzzy

Thanks for the pictures. It upsets me to see that I have been mislead.

BTW I can see the bolts for the clamps being shorter like they are so they won't stick out and catch clothing once tightened up. I just used channel locks to bent it together and slid the bolt through, was pretty easy really. There is no doubt, that is the exact same unit that I bought.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I put a Easy gate on my trailer 3 years ago. Works great.I had the same problem with the tube bolts being too short. Also the guide pulley for the cable went bad last summer so I had to replace it.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: GREAT THREAD!

Quote:
Originally posted by z_clark
Thank you so much for your views and pictures of these products. Does anyone know if these can be installed on 4 foot high side rail trailers? Thanks!
I think you could install on your trailer, but they would have to be mounted on the sides. About 18 inches from floor. You would have to make some custom mounting brackets.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

ksland,

We all spend more on some things than others. I ordered Jungle Wheels the other day and then saw them a few dollars cheaper after reading a few posts. Some times this site can be good and some times bad.

Do you think it would be worth putting another eye bolt at the rear of the tube and feeding the cable through it to act as a "stop" if the spring should break? Maybe I worry too much, but it looks like the tube can double as a cannon.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd like to know if it is possible to have the cable feed through the pullies in an "S" configuration with the EZ unit? My trailer has the new fangled latches that would be in the way of the cable.. but if I can have the cable come over the top of the top pulley.. it may work.

Anyone?

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com