Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2000, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Emarald,
$30 an hour for leaves???That's just a guy and a rake right?
Old 11-22-2000, 06:30 AM

Question

What's the point Getmow ? Do you think high or low ?
Old 11-22-2000, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I work alone and charge $50 per hour minimum without removal.
Old 11-22-2000, 07:26 AM

Just curious.....do you guys working alone run 2 blowers at a time (1 backpack along with a pushblower) ?
Old 11-22-2000, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I get paid year round so i don't get all that BIG money ya'll get. I can't see anyone around here paying those prices though, cosider yourselves very lucky!

If a non-customer calls me and wants a cleanup it's usually after all the leaves have fallen and it's been raining and they're wet and thick and...............well I learned last year to go with $100.00 minimum, from there it goes up. If they want to live in leaves for 3 months then they need to pay the price to get them cleaned up. I quoted a lady the other day $50.00 to clean her yard. The curbs had not been edged in years, there were just a few leaves on the ground, and not much grass growing . The whole job might have taken me 45 minutes. She thought that was too high.......I'll probably decline most clean-ups this year and save my equipment.

Maybe I could start an association down here and get everybody to raise their prices on cleanups like you guys do! 4x the normal..............nah, they would never buy that.

Homer
Old 11-22-2000, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge $25.00 pre/man hour. Too me thats enough to keep me happy. I NEVER give a set price, just asking for trouble when you do that. You just need to sit down and decide on a price per man/hour that is good for you. For me $25 is good, for others it may be more, it may be less. You have to weigh a lot of factors. A lot of guys on here have a lot tied up in their business than the common part timer. SO therefor they have to charge more to make the same amount that another would make.
Old 11-22-2000, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Alot of good thoughts above........Bottem line ....get your hourly rate that you need to survive!!!
Old 11-22-2000, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't ever work for an hourly rate for any reason, i try to price high enough to cover the job no matter how bad it can get. If we bust our butts and get it done fast no complaining , if it takes all day well my problem.

Double e , you flat out lie to your customers? Nobody says you have to tell them the whole truth, but i try not to lie to anyone, i just won't tell them my business, shouldn't matter to them where you dump as long as it's off the property and not dumped illegally.(not saying you do this!)
I have lied to people about things like this before but i couldn't do it anymore, just not worth getting caught in a lie by a customer.
Old 11-22-2000, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya'll never know until you time it

Was spending extra time on leaves here on some properties in late August. Only way to fairly be compensated is to charge for your time. Every stop all year is timed, even for properties we've mowed 500 times already. I sure don't want to charge 5X or 3X or ?X for busting my tail on anything! Customer is charged for the TIME involved, whether it be mowing, fertilizing, cleanup or whatever. If you track times and costs, after 2-3 years you can assign an hourly charge to each operation or machine. (Or you could buy estimating guideline books.) That is how a successful business prices its product or service. And you always have to do this to make sure you are making the money you expect.
Old 11-22-2000, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Charge for your time. Make sure to get enough for your overhead and equipment. We charge $25 per man hour and $10 per yard of debris hauled away. Most clean ups run $125-$250. Then there is the upper 15 percent that run $450 to $1500. Make sure you come out on top.