Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2004, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guys with enclosed trailers have a ?

Hey, I stopped and priced a haulmark trailer 8X20 7000lb GW with a rear drop down ramp and a side door. He wanted 5500. 00 do you think this was a good price? When you got your enclosed trailer did you like it alot better than a open? I think it would set a professional image matching trailer and truck. Tell me the pros and cons you experienced! Thank you for your time!
Old 03-19-2004, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that is a good price... I love the enclosed, don't have to unload, have all the tools you need with you all the time... many pluses to having an enclosed.

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD
6.6L Duramax Diesel and Allison
Old 03-19-2004, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

That sounds like a good price, but there are alot of different options on the enclosed trailers. Haulmark has been around for along time, should be a good trailer. Are company has two enclosed trailers and we will never go back to the open trailers.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds about right to me. I have the 16' Haulmark. I think mine was about 5k. I have been really happy with the trailer. I like that it has allowed us to be more organized, everything we need is right in there, locked and out of the elements.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good deal, possibly becuase it only has 3500# axles?? I'd make sure your getting 5000#'ers. Also, the torsional axles are a little smoother, that's what I'd want if I were buying a trailer. Might check into that too. What tires does it have?? Also, here in MO you are supposed to have brakes at every single wheel in all commercial applications, and I know from experience that the DOT will fine you if you only have 1 axle with brakes.....
Probably all stuff you already knew, but some food for thought if you didn't.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

The only advantage to an open trailer to me is being able to put mulch or bed edgings on it. I am in the market for an enclosed too. I need something I can park and not worry about, having no garage to keep everything in. I priced a 7 x 16 tandem axle for 4200 best out of 3 places i went to, so it sounds like you got a good deal there.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

price seems fine compared to what I payed for my Southwest.
I LOVE my enc trlr. for all the reasons noted above plus:

- walls and ceiling can be used to hang tools/equip
- equip/mowers last longer out of the weather
- mine is white...neve really gets that hot in there with the vent open but I;ve been insie a black one and a grey one and they are hotter inside than mine

THey are heavy however and when loaded, they reduce my fuel mileage by 2 mpg...but I would buy another one in a heartbeat
Old 03-20-2004, 05:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Just bought a new enclosed Cargo Express 81/2 x 18 for 5500...I love it already. Tubular construction. 3/4" walls and floors, side door 78" so you don't bang your head.One piece roof, No seems to leak.
Leave it loaded and ready to go.
Get one a little bigger than you think you need as the extra space is great. A little heavy but my F250 handles it great.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!"
Old 03-20-2004, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK, here goes:
I own both. My enclosed is a 16 foot double axle vs my single axle 12 foot open trailer. I like being able to get all my mowers on one trailer. I like hopping on my lazer and the seat not being already wet. The enclosed also has more storage and keeps the company looking more professional all the time. Your equipment can be garbage and all your mowers stacked up with no racks, but inside an enclosed trailer no one sees. The advertising benefits are great as well. I had another "professional" lawn guy from this area ask if i was part of a national chain, i said no and he was like WOW. You guys are real professionals! Just because of my traier. How odd. He doesnt even know my work, just my trailer. lol

I love my open trailer because i can toss brush in and bushes and what ever. You can get your crew working much faster with an open trailer. I have an airplane hanger where i can store my stuff so it is not real relevant about having somewhere to store stuff. Honestly, the real issue was that i just wasnt worried about securing it. It has had its weather related issues. Laziness has a price i suppose. Also, the open trailer has way better backing capability and way better visibility. I always have to have someone in the street to stop traffic for me as i cant see anything with the enclosed. The open trailer though zooms in and out and i dont feel i have to have someone stop traffic.

So, here are the real questions i think that should drive your desire for a trailer.
1. Storage of equipment-trailer or other
2. Image-Do you have or want a specific image
3. Advertising-duh.
4. Speed- How fast do you want your guys to be?
5. Uses- Only for hauling mowers or use for cleanups/landscapes

etc, etc.
Too early in the morning to formulate good thoughs or good spelling. sorry. lol
Old 03-20-2004, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I just bought an 8x20 Pace enclosed trailer. I bought the Summit model which is designed for the landscaping/lawn maintenance business. Rear ramp, side door, flow-through side vents, 2 roof vents, beefier flooring with treated plywood, torsion suspension. The base price was $5,500, so if my deal is a good comparison, it sounds like your price is right on the money. The size is gonna take some getting used to. But I love the fact that all my equipment is in one place and is as dry and secure as it can possibly be.