Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I dont think you need a lawyer. You can always obtain one if you need one. I know a few but have only used them to draw up my contracts. Call the secretary of state to see what you need to do with getting the business lic. I would also venture to say that you arent hiring anybody right out the gate so dont worry about the payroll thing yet. To be legit you need the business lic., liability insurance, and the other lic. mentioned if you go into those fields(DNR, chemicals, etc).

I guess my point is, you dont need to be bogged down with some of the stuff mentioned. You arent big enough to have to worry about that stuff yet. Focus on the licenses, insurance, and getting customers. Grow your business and then implement the other things mentioned.

I do recommend a good CPA right off the bat though.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

right on i am just starting out trying to get into this full time if possible. what is your aspect on a cemetery jobs? there is an opening but not sure about it
Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

You said lagit , what I gave was what a lagit landscaper should do. Not a fly by nighter . When I started . I started with a DBA and a business checking acount . Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually we said legit... Being legit means being legal and conforming to the rules set by our government. Having a lawyer is never a bad idea but isnt necessarily something that has to be in place to be legal. Insurance, certifications, and licenses are what make you legit. There is a big difference in being legit and being reputable and being legit and being smart. Everyone can be legit but not everyone will be reputable or smart.

C&M--If I were you I would stay away from cemetery work. I would recommend starting with residentials and work into commercial in a few years. Cemeteries are complex and could put you out of business before you have your 1st year anniversary. Good luck out there, the season is fast approaching.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I totally agree with what you said phillie. I was also going to say to stay away from the cemitary . And no having a lawyer is not lagit , however they help when you need them . Really you would have to read through the lines on why I said to get one. It was for the LLC . You can get a LLC with out a lawyer . It depends on how much time you have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I am wanting to start a legit lawn care business in southern Indiana There it is. He asked "legit"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalllc View Post
I am wanting to start a legit lawn care business in southern Indiana There it is. He asked "legit"
Posted via Mobile Device
LegalZoom is how we inc.
2012 Scag tigercat
2005 cub cadet ztr
20ft open Trailer
12ft open Trailer
Stihl Trimmer
Echo Trimmer
Stihl backpack Blower

Next item will be hedge trimmers.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think legal zoom quoted me like $300. If you call the Secy of state and do it yourself it's only like $45.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea but legalzoom gives u an accounting program and all paperwork. We set it up as me,dad, and my brother own it. Also you need to file for your d.o.t number <this is a big mistake alot of companies make.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I should have done legal zoom. I paid way more. Oh the joy of being a start up. I wish I had a site like this when I started. I would have been asking all kinds of stuff. I hope ya make it.