Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2004, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Door to door questions

Hey Fellas-

I'm ready to hit the payment!!!!...rather knock on doors to get my business started.

I'm curious what strategy works best? What were some lessons learned? Specifically, what day of the week & time of day works best? I realize each area of the country has a different mowing season, etc. At least here in North Carolina, I've already seen a lot of LCO's hard at work.

So from that stand point I think this is a good time to start.

Basically, I would like to understand are the pro's, con's, the "what I would have done differently", or the "I'm glad I did ....blank......"

Once again thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks
Joey
Old 03-22-2004, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a mailing List for your area, Fold your flier and place a stamp on it. Best way to move the fliers, DO A SEARCH YOU WILL FIND THIS QUESTION ASK A 1000 TIMES OR MORE
Old 03-22-2004, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Weatherman-

Do you have a suggestion on saving on the postage? I would image mailing flyers could get expensive. Thanks for the response...
Old 03-22-2004, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is expensive, but it is the most professional and non intrusive approach you can do. Once you get your foot in the door you can rely of word-of-mouth, assuming your quality is good.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought a mailing list from USADATA of 6800+ addresses for about $340. These are all homeowners in a specific city. They sent it on an excel spreadsheet and I imported them into my CLIP program.

I plan to print labels and do a postcard mailing to specific streets. I'll probably do about 1000 and check the results. I'll also do door hangers, both on the same streets where I mail the postcards and on different streets. CLIP allows me to track the results so I will be able to figure out which marketing is most effective.

To save on postage, if you plan to do a lot of mailing, you can get a bulk mail permit. Check with the post office.
(800) 635-8485 x3360
billc@clip.com
Old 03-24-2004, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Go to the post office and get a bulk mailing permit. The mininum is 200 flyers. That is the way we sent out our catalogs to people. It saves you alot of $$$ buy going this way.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi jnm4,

Quite often you will see posts on this topic that will suggest going out on weekend to hand out flyers. That way you get to meet your potential customers and answer any questions they might have on the spot.

Best of luck to you!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Team Gopher-

Do you suggest I bring my equipment? I heard several people suggest this....what's your thought?

Any other suggested are appreciated.

Thanks
Joey
Old 03-28-2004, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: Door to door questions

Quote:
Originally posted by jnm4
Hey Fellas-

I'm ready to hit the payment!!!!...rather knock on doors to get my business started.

I'm curious what strategy works best? What were some lessons learned? Specifically, what day of the week & time of day works best? I realize each area of the country has a different mowing season, etc. At least here in North Carolina, I've already seen a lot of LCO's hard at work.

So from that stand point I think this is a good time to start.

Basically, I would like to understand are the pro's, con's, the "what I would have done differently", or the "I'm glad I did ....blank......"

Once again thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks
Joey

I have been mowing since March 7 in the Fayetteville area. I am going to tell you this.......get your butt to marketing, or suffer the consequences. People are looking right now, do not wait any longer. The bermuda may still be brownish but the customers are calling. Hell, I've even picked up a couple of customers at Home Depot in the lawn care equipment area. If someone is looking at a new mower or whatever but have that dazed confused look I simply introduce myself and give them a card and offer to answer any questions about the equipment that they are looking at and then they usually come around to the "well, how much do you charge and could you come out and look at my yard?" It works but not all the time.

It's us against them...hehe