Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2004, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kudos to WRIGHT MANUFACTURING!!!

A year ago I bought two spindles for my Wright Sentar after breaking one of the originals. I put one of the new ones on to fix the one I broke, and now, one year later, that spindle failed big time. The bearings literally fell out and the thing stopped my belt.

So I went back to my shop and put the second spindle on and got going again. Then I thought Iíd call David McDowell in service at Wright Mfg. and tell him what happened. David told me that last year they had a problem with some of their spindles which caused them to fail prematurely. He asked for my address and offered to send me two new spindles at no charge.

I think this is an amazing way to do business. Everyone there seems to put the customer first and helps out every way they can. Iíve called David different times when Iíve had breakdowns and he has walked me through repairs over the phone and even called back to check on me.

You will never go wrong if you buy a machine from WRIGHT MANUFACTURING.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you giving them a candy bar?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thats why wright has loyal customers and future ones as well (AKA me)
Redmax EB-7001
6x12 trailer
Echo PB 200 Handheld Blower
7hp Toro Snow Commander
5hp Briggs pump
Tanaka 26" Hedge trimmers
Kee Bed Edger
Honda Tiller
Old 03-24-2004, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is great you are happy with their customer service, but I also agree that with troblandscape in that it was the right thing for them to do. I have been on a sentar that had the spindle failure. The dealer told me that they most of them would fail, and the factory was well aware of it. To me.....Fix em before they fail if you know there is a problem! How about a recall. Maybe they could be fixed before you broke down in the field with a couple workers wasting time while you are down running back to the shop, or running short handed while they get the part in.

To me time and no having down time are so valuable. To survive int his business you have to hustle, and downtime can kill your profits. I would be mad as a hornet if I could have had the dealer install the upgraded parts on a Saturday when I was all caught up, but instead I was left with a time bomb that was all most a lock to fail on me in the field.

I think a recall would have been the right thing to do, but that is must me.

Jay
Old 03-24-2004, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I was also helped by David McDowell when I had a spindle problem. it seems a batch of spindles were found to be defective and the problem was caught quickly but a some were used.
He also was very helpfull and called me back to check up.
I have just bought my third Sentar! Wright is a great Company.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Why the candy bar? ALL manufacturer's have some problems with their equipment--repeat ALL!!! But not ALL manufacturer's respond to those problems the way Wright does. They are a top of the line company. Why no recall? Fact is that Wright did issue a recall on their Sentar mowers. They bought them back from the distributors across the country, refurbished them and then sold them as used, rebuilt mowers on EBAY. In fact I'll give them a box of candy bars for the way they handle themselves.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I live 15 miles from the factory. I cracked the frame on my machine. (which i bought from the factory as a demo so no warrenty) Well i brought it in and they welded the frame right back up. I wouldn't buy from anybody else. I want 2 new super sentars next year. I have seen some really neat protypes that they didn't used. I was one of the 1st people (outside of employees) to demo a Velky mower. Their new plant in fredick is 30 times better than their old one down in montgomery county.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 03-31-2004, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Most manufacturers take care of their known problems.

I have 2 Great Dane Super Surfers that had some issues and the company fixed them and even extended my warranty and extra year!

Now that is a great company to work with!
Old 03-31-2004, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta, Where did your frame crack?
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 03-31-2004, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmmm, what am I missing here? Faulty spindles, broken frames ... this thread is not about kudos to Wright, but rather about bad product and measures to handle problems!

If they knew they had bad spindles, why did they wait for your failures to take action. Sure, they replaced them at no charge (except the time you took from working -- big $$$), but their failure to make recall is a bad practice. Sorry -- I cannot support the idea of "kudos to Wright."

I bought a BullRider last season, about April. The frame was not shaped right, so it would not bolt flush to the frame of the w/b. When I called TrimmerTrap to ask, "...yea, we had a bunch of them go out the door that were not right ..." This was followed by a laugh. I was furious and told him so. I wrote the president of TrimmerTrap telling him the story. I never heard from the man.

Their solution to my original call, "... send it back and we will straighten it out for you." Why is it my problem? Why do I need to find packaging to hold the tow bar and ship it back? They knew they had a problem. They knew they went out the door. If they don't know the s/n of those in trouble, then they have much greater problems than a misshapen frame. Why didn't they track it down and get new ones to replace?

I'm sure Wright knew exactly the machines in the field with bad spindles. Why didn't they take pro-active measures to be sure the problem wasn't handled properly?

These incidents (yours and mne) mean that quality control is way down on the list of prorities!