Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2004, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

How Many Lawns Per Man?

Just wondering what is a productive day fertilizing for you or your lawn techs. Do you try to accomplish a certain number of stops, a target square footage, or a gross dollar volume per day. Also, when do you hire an additional tech... when you reach a number of lawns, dollars, or square feet covered per man??
Old 03-24-2004, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if your talking residential a lawn tech should be able to do $1200+ a day. Or be able to servcie 400-450 customers a round.

My last year working for chemdog (1990) i had 600 customers in my route, it was only 2 towns.

Of course commerical lawn care should do more $$ per day, but less number of customers
Old 03-24-2004, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we use a sq footage goal. (basicly its all the same thing, whether you count production stops, sq ft, or dollars, it all averages out)

we need each man doing 160,000sf per day. I think the average company may be around 200,000sf per day. (i remember my days working for the big company, i didnt like the pressure of having to do big numbers every day. so at 160k per day is very doable without alot of pressure, which, in my opinion, keeps a happier work force AND provides a much more personal service to our customers. I want the guys to not worry about how long Mrs Homeowner is taking asking her crazy questions!)

when to hire another tech is a bit more tricky to answer. I;ll give you my take on it but you have to keep in mind I dont take this stuff very seriously, i mean i earn a good living and all, but i'm not what i consider to be a good business person.

I dont have a problem bringing in a new tech and dipping into my own pocket to pay him. In other words, I will not put pressure on the other guys to do more production untill they reach their breaking point then hire someone. We just brought in a new guy. I dont have an 'extra 160k' hangong around for him to do. He will be riding with me, and my other 2 guys being trained. He will be running leads. He will not be producing much revenue this season. I am prepared to cut back on my salary to pay him. I just look at it as an investment, its gonna cost me this season, but i fully expect to reap a financial benefit next season.

I also keep everyone year round. I've had many debate on the way i run things. I know I could be putting more $$$ into my pocket if I laid-off in the winter. I also know if I put the guys on a 200K sf goal i wouldnt need to bring in additional help.
Its just the way I do things, like I said, if I were more 'business' minded I would do things diferently.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TSM, Id say you have your priorities set up very well. Way to go!
Old 03-24-2004, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

We do 400,000 square feet each per day, hire another tech when you or your guys can not possibly handle anymore. You could plan ahead and hire someone to ride with you and train them the way that you want, when the time comes and you have enough work or another tech leave you, there is a guy trained and ready to take his place.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

damn 200,000 sq ft a day.. is this every day. I just started doing applications and would i love to have as many customers to do 100,000 sq ft a day. how in the world did you guys get this many customers? How long did it take?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing that needs to be considered,

I stated we do 160k sf. per man/day. our average residential lawn (we are 90%residential) is 7k sf. so we average 22-23 lawns per man/day.

rkk95 says his guys do 400k sf. I dont doubt that, but i doubt we're talking 7k sf lawns. His average lawn size is most likely much bigger. Would be no problem for one man to do 10 lawns that are 40k sf in a day.

when these types of questions are asked, one will get a wide variety of answers. markets as well as companies will vary. some companies will do mostly smaller residential lawns while some others may do large commercial lawns, some may work subburbs and others in rural areas where the lawns will be larger.

You need to know your market, and what your wallet can handle.

JeffO- you need to do a good job with your exsisting customer so they will gladly tell their friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc etc.
You got to be persistant, meaning dont let it get you down, you will not sell every lawn you do an estimate on so you got to be thick skinned. Your reputation will make you, or break you.
good luck

Last edited by TSM; 03-25-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You cant let numbers ( 400k or $1500 ) get in the way of the quality of the work.

Back in the day when I was a young prodo stud, I alway pulled in big numbers, then when service calls started coming in for all my lawns my supervisors would say...
ah you thought it was all about doing $2k a day.

We had a incentive bonus pay that subtracted service calls from prodo dollars, So I learned how to do a better job, and yes it did slow me down a little. But in the long run it was better for my bonuses and better for that company.

Bottom line, in my area a tech should be able to bring in $1k a day and do a great job doing it.

Like Tsm says It all depends on your area, When Im in Worcester ma all my lawns are under 8,000 sq ft so I gotta do 20 of them to make me happy, then I go up to farm country and 6 lawns on one street is 110,000 sq ft and I m done for the day... ...ah its nice to be the boss
Old 03-26-2004, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim, the real question is.........

how many can properly pronounce Worcester??
Old 03-26-2004, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Dollar amounts are not a good quota toset, miss quoting happens to often, under bid a job. Sq ft. is o.k., but you have to take into prospective that the operator should also do some customer service while he is there. And also take the time to correctly inspect the lawn edge to edge. All this takes time out of the operators schedule. Thus keeping him below a certain sq ft quota. You gonna fault him for that? A productive day is when everyone is happy..customers and operator...and bank account.
160-300k sq ft depending on size of stops
$1,200-2,000 a day depending on hours on the clock and products used. Pretty wide open. Rember something always breaks and traffic is always congested, it's always something.