Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-25-2004, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Member

They are still available through professional chain saw supply places like Bailey's. They're terrible for felling a tree but work well for bucking, IF you are careful to ALWAYS put the dogs against the log before starting the cut. And NEVER cut above shoulder level with one. They can't be sold to consumers because of the kickback and other reasons stated above. Most people are not experienced enough with a chain saw to use one.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 4734
That's why they don't make them any more.
They still make them. They are used mostly by Christmas tree farmers. In that application they are much faster and safer than a regular bar.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone, never seen one before, looked interesting, and thanks for looking out for me. Won't be used by me.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They are used extensively in the pulp production industry.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 03-27-2004, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I had one for several years and loved it for cutting up short pulpwood. It was much easier in the body to buck up wood all day and easier to keep the chain out of the dirt. I never had a problem with kickback either. If proper attention is payed when using a saw it takes out much of the inherent danger.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I lived in Georgia back in the late 70's and bow saws were all they used in the pulpwood business.......good for cutting up felled trees. As all have said they are very dangerous due to kickback.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Have them on 2 saws, been using them my whole life.

A bow is used basically for cutting up firewood, especially when you need a lot of wood. It is designed to cut logs that have already been downed to the ground and limbed. Nothing else. I have been using them for 20 years and only once had a kickback and that's because I tried something I knew better than to do to start with. I heat with a lot of wood. My dad and granddad both used bows for as long as I can remember with never an accident.

The bow is tapered to the inside so as you go through the log it allows the top of the cut to close up a little and not bind the chain.

I know they should only be used by properly trained, highly experienced operators such as myself and only by people who can understand and follow simple but strict rules. They are of no use to a homeowner.

A bow can make cutting up logs many times faster than a straight bar saw. Where a straight bar saw is much safer and effieient at limbing, falling. Each has it's use and I carry both out each time I cut wood.

If you always cut with the cleat braced properly against the log it is very safe. If you want to be stupid and cut anywhere else on the bar then well, you might as well play russian roulette.

People also remove guards- It was there for a reason do you think?

Someone else said it was for clearing brush- I can't think of a better way to ask for a kickback to happen. A chainsaw is for cutting wood, brush clearing tools are for that. Also a chainsaw is like any other power tool. Only to be used by someone who is mentally and physically capable of handling it safely.

In general it is a product that is for a special use and especially useful to persons who cut mass quanities of firewood. It like many other professional tools can be deadly in the hands of the inexperienced or foolish. I just bought a new bow and saw this week and thanks to fools around the world I had to have this one's bow custom made.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yup...only for experienced users. You get some yahoos who don't have a clue how to handle the equipment they are using and shouldn't be using, they get hurt, and then then those people that actually do know what they are doing pay the price for the ignorance of others.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

ive never even heard of this thing, but heres what i found when i googled it. heres the site: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DG

Bow Bar. An elliptical saw chain guide bar used for brush cutting. Its use is not suitable for falling or bucking wood over eight inches in diameter. No longer approved by manufacturers for use on current saws.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Member

It's odd to me

It's odd to me that so many people have never heard of something I grew up with. So many people have them (bows) on their saws here. It is common site in central Va. Well anyway maybe it is just here.

I even knew a pro logger who was scared of these. He said my use of one was the only good use for it.

I cut up logs a whole lot bigger than 8 inches too. I am a pro though.

I can cut up a truckload of wood faster than two men can load it with not even trying.