Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Bow bar / clearing guide

I currently own three saws equipped with BOW bars. one sthil 041, Poulan 345 and Mucolluch 700. I grew up in a pupl wood logging family and have been around this type of saw all my life. I have used them to fell , buck and limb lob lolly pines and red heart ceder. The saws are very dangerous but also very productive. I personally have experienced two kick backs both times while limbing. Thankfully I kept my guards inplace and only sufferd a bruse.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

There is a guy I work with that uses a bow. I don't think I would be to interested though. He to claims they are very dangerous but has been using them all his life.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Bow saws

I dont know who claims to be an expert, or who was watching who's counsin use a whatever to do what, but what a pile of crap. First off, Im an ASI certified arborist and an FNGLA (Florida Nursery Growers and Landscape) certified professional, and hold a certified heavy equipment operators card. Yes I worked all the major hurricanes including Katrina, and have cut just about everywhere in the US and i some other countries. Im 35, only 6ft and 185, and I have never, ever seen or had a bow saw kick back on a professional. They are not feared by pro arborists. As a matter of fact, we are the only ones that can legally buy them new. First off they are not for brush cutting or felling, which means cutting down a tree. Secondly, they are for bucking, and ONLY BUCKING. They have a spur and guards which should never be removed. When the spur is placed on the log there is no way for saw to kickback. As far as not seeing the benfits of using one, you were either using it wrong, or the saw wasnt running. Mine is mounted on a ported Stihl ms460 and two people cant keep up with normal bars. Its been attempted. Im sorry friends, but there is just WAY to much misinformation out there. PLease get educated or ask someone with some experience. Be safe and wear all your safety gear. Remember most accidents can be avoided with a little common sense and preperation.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Back in the early 80's when I was a teen I cut tons of Post Oak with a Pioneer saw with a bow. Just like the person above mentioned I fell the tree and limbed it with a bar saw and then lifted and went to work with the bow. They cut great and you are more in a standing position as you cut and when placed on the log properly they should be just as safe as a bar saw without a tip shield. People get into trouble when they use something that it was not intended for. The only stitches I have had was when I was 39 and cut above my knee with a saw with a bar and yes it was one of those things where I was in a bad position and should have done different, and yes I did not put on my chaps because it was only going to take a second.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't believe you Marrorimage37-- if you ever get to Nebraska I will race you and out cut you with a stock saw and strait bar in wood I cut almost every day -- I cut some of the hardest wood known in the country -- wood so hard your chain will shoot out sparks -- Im 6ft 200lb 48 years old

Last edited by donthraen; 03-14-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

this subject always bring em out!!!

I am 46 and I used one of these all the way from the age of 13. They are only dangerous if you are. I have felled, limbed and bucked with them and they don't kick back if you know how to use them. They are not the best for felling a tree if it is very large, ok for cutting limbs and for bucking they can't be beat. At the end of the day, a phrase I hate but it's appropriate here, a man bucking all day with a bow will go home a lot less tired that someone bucking with a bar and he will have bucked a lot more logs. people always fear things they know nothing about. A bow blade will save your back in the long run and the only reason they can't sell them to the public is because of idiots in government that have never used a chainsaw. It's kind of like the idiot at the drive up window at McD's that spilled coffee in their lap and sued McD's for millions. It doesn't matter how the thing works if the end user is an idiot. Oh and back in the day there were no chain brakes like there are now and chain saws were huge. if you used them a lot you had set of guns on you. Bow Blades all the way!!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back when McCullough still made good chainsaws. My Uncle with his Poulan Bow couldn't keep up with me and my Mac 2020 or 2010 don't remember the exact model number (before they started using plastic). I used the Poulan but I preferred my Mac Just lay it on there and let it cut.
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 05-28-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Lol

I heard that plenty off times. two saws both well tuned and sharp, one with bow and one with bar, both bucking it's no contest. if you cut with a bar of higher horse power you might do it faster but your back will pay for it!!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL
That was back in my 20's I could do it all day long. My uncle however paid the price. Told my dad "That boy liked to killed me keeping up"
I had worked for a tree service while going to school and kept it tuned and chains SHARP everyday.
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 05-28-2011, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

oh btw

those MACs made good go cart engines.....and that is not an insult