Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

well there you go, a younger man working against an older man that tells the story..... when I was in my 20's I could hold that old big Poulan out at arms length and cut with it. Too Old for that crap now!!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used them when I worked for the Forest Service. We only used them for removing small "bushes" that small bar on the bottom will catch the small branches. We never cut anything bigger than two inches with them, thats what the regular bar is for. Nobody got hurt from them
Old 05-28-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Have dropped Lob Lolly pines 36" in diameter and Live Oaks bigger than that. No problem. small bushes, LOL
Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

bow bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerescue View Post
PLease has anyone seen, used, or know what a bow bar is for a chainsaw. Description best I can describe is looks like or shaped like a bow saw or sorta egg shaped, and hooks to the chainsaw powerhead just like a regular bar does, 14" wide at widest point and 18" long. Anybody know what their purpose is or have ever used one. Looks pretty interesting just wonder if its useable.
Bow bars use to be used by proffessional loggers to saw downed trees into logs. Had a pair of tongs or dogs on the front to hold the bar against the tree
Made quick work of sawing up large down trees. In the 90's loggers start using hydralic sawbucks to cut multiple trees at once. Have seen a bow bar in years, but haven't logged since 79
Old 10-08-2012, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Want to sell it

If you want to sell the bow bar, and it's in good condition, I'd gladly buy it from you. They are dangerous when not used properly, but when used as intended they are extremely useful--but regulations have made them almost impossible to get now.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocxHS6BxFAk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf-XS...ture=endscreen
Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Even though this post is 4 years old I would still like to comment on it. A bow bar is no more dangerous than a straight bar if handled correctly. As noted in a previous post if you use the dogs for what they are for you will have no kickbacks. It sounds like some of the posters dont even need to be sawing with a straight bar.

Mac
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty cool but not something you see up in my neck of the woods. The only bowsaws I've ever seen or used are hand saws...I keep one in my toolbox at all times.

I used to work as a Groundman for an Arborist and he had one heck of a kickback one time while running one of his big Jonsoreds that litterally picked him up and tossed him backwards a few feet. I was like woah...WTF. He was cutting a log from below and knew it was a risk so he was prepared for it. I wasn't and didn't know what happened.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I used one before. The thing kicked back and cut my leg off. I just stitched it back on and kept going. You guys are light weights.