Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2004, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Customer Apology Letter/Cancellation

Had a customer I had excepted a couple of weeks back. She was an older single lady that was a PITA from the start. I knew this, still I excepted her business with a smile. Each time I mowed she always had some complaint about it. "the sprinklers weren't trimmed around," or "the edge is all wrong." Well for my defense, I trimmed around the sprinklers and set a great edge, I don't know, maybe she can't see well either. But she calls me today to say she is giving me her 30 day notice, so I told her to just cut ties now. So I will send to her a final statement and a apology letter/cancellation notice. Read it and tell me your thoughts:

Dear XXXXX,

Although we try to cover all the bases, we arenít perfect. We obviously let you down, and apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you.

Thank you for the phone call and for the constructive criticism. We will use it to better our services for future clients. We want each person we do business with to walk away feeling satisfied, and that apparently didnít happen in your case. We hope that you find satisfaction in the new lawn maintenance company you choose.

This letter will serve as a notice of cancellation of the contract between us and is effective immediately. You can refer to your Lawn Maintenance Service Agreement for further information. You can also contact me at your convenience if you wish to discuss this further. I do hope you accept our apology.

Sincerely,

Joe XXXXXXX
Owner/Operator
Precision Cut Lawn Care
Old 03-25-2004, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Precision,

The letter sound pretty good to me. It's never fun to loose clients but in that case it sounds like it's the right thing to do.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds Good. For every customer you loose there are 2 customers waiting to replace, its your job to find that two
Old 03-26-2004, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like your being too nice. Very professional, It's always a good idea to leave on good terms.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

precisioncut ... why "apology letter/cancellation notice" ... sounds like you did everything she asked for even above and beyond the letter of your contract/agreement ... I would NOT be so apologetic for that reason and keep it strickly as a cancellation notice as per your contract ... Leave the feeling of being sorry/apologetic to her for losing you more so than for you losing her ... She just gave you more time to concentrate on what is real ... M2C .
Old 03-26-2004, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Joe Girard said it best..."the 250 rule.....for every customer you have they either know or talk to at least 250 people in a year and you will not have an encouraging word said about you!" In other words.....word of mouth can work both ways. If he does this he will be in better graces and she is more likely NOT to spread a bad word about him.

Oh, and if anybody wants good reading, read Joe Girards book "How to sell anything to anybody" He was a record holder in the car sales business (I know, not to highly thought of) but some of his sales and marketing tactics were genious and that is what made him a rich man.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Precisioncut,

I think you are handleing this very well.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just thought a letter like this might be a good way to end on good terms, even though she dropped me. Maybe something like this will soften the blow of her being angry and stop the bad mouthing me.
Thanks for the comments.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I absolutely agree with you precision. It is always best to try to end on a positive note but when you can not as you said you should try to soften the blow as much as possible. Hopefully, she will refrain from bad mouthing if she feels you were professional. Sometimes its better to let the customer "Think" they won.

I am having a problem with a customer I dropped last year. this guy owns a property management company and is telling people all kinds of crazy rumors about why I do not do his work anymore. He is telling peolple he put me out of business and I am trying to start under a new name. What actually happened was I lost my company in my divorce and I HAD to start over I choose not to go with him this year and his ego is sore. I wish I would have ended things with him on a more possitve note.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it will help; we'll see.