Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2004, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

82,000 SQFT problem

I went to do an estimate the other day for 2 acres. The owner and I walked around the property checking out the turf figuring out what needs to be done. I told him $400 for the first app, wich is broadleaf and crabgrass prevention with fert. Then we dicussed aeration and seeding later on. The price with that at first was 1600 and he said that was to much.I lowered the price to an even 1000 and he still sayed no. He said to just do the first app and we would talk after that. I did the app a week later and left the bill on the door. He called that night complaining that he thought the app included seed to. He won't pay me the four I settled for 250 and am never going to do buisness with him again. The reason I settled for a little more than my product cost was because his gal is a friend of my wifes. Lesson to be learned don't deaal with friend's or family.Do your families for free
Old 03-27-2004, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

that why i make them sign on a detailed contract
Old 03-27-2004, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

He also said his wife was watching and it only took 2 hours. I told him it would hav only taken 1 hour if I did'nt walk around and spot spray all the hinbit chick and crabgrass.Witch was no charge.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Dusty, that's where I messed up.Another lesson learned
Old 03-27-2004, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

at least it was a cheep 1
Old 03-27-2004, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

communication and written estimates is where this failed. If you gave a written estimate with price, what that includes and you made sure the customer understands ( that the communication part ) then you properly wouldn't have had any problems
Old 03-27-2004, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your first mistake was coming off your price, especially as much as you did. I don't do much sparying or anything, but every customer who I have come down on price for has burned me.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I know I should'nt have lowered the price but he is a friend of my wife's and he really was confussed.He was drunk when I gave him the estimate.From now on everyone must sign a contract
Also I think 400 is a great price on 2 acres.I mean what the#$%@
Old 03-27-2004, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need to TELL him that was the cost of your product. Not only that, but the time, fuel, and effort you have in going to get the product, storing it, and handling it. It doesn't MATTER how long it took you to put it down! What if you had a Perma-green? It would've taken you even less! Does that mean that since you invested 5 grand into a machine, that you should've made less? This guy TOOK you, and he knows it. There is no way you can tell me, drunk or not, that if you spoke to him about the price not once, ($400 for the app), not twice, ($1600 for everything), not three times (down to $1000.), but on the FOURTH time around, when he said "Just do the first app and we would talk after that."
The guy knew what he was doing.......you were soft, and he detected it right off the bat. He'll take your money if you let him....personally,... it wouldn't HAPPEN with me! I don't care WHO's boyfriend or whatever he is!!!!!!!!!!!! I give respect where respect is due! You need to TALK to these people about your costs!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Ithink some of you need to realize that all of us do not have the luxury of being dogmatic with our pricing sometimes you have to leave a little room for negotiating. maybe you should have bid it even higher then when he brought you down he could feel as if he won even though you are where you wanted to be in the first place and if he dosent talk you down then that covers the ones that do more power to you