Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2004, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

spray vs. granular

This is my first year doing chemical apps. wanted to know if there was any reason to spray or can i do everything granular?
Old 03-27-2004, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grass Groomer, do you need a pesticide license in Il? If so, are you licensed yet?
Old 03-29-2004, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you can stick to granular for fertilizer and insect controls. Liquid on broadleaf weeds, but you dont need to go out and spend money on a spray tank, just get yourself a back-pac sprayer.

Of course this info is given to you ASSUMING that you are licensed or are about to be licensed!!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

TSM
My local supplier tells me that I can do broadleaf effectively with granular - is she just trying to sell me something? I cannot recall what the product is without seeing the label. So you think a backpack would be efficient enough? Also is there way for me to know how much overlap I am getting with a backpack? Thank you
Old 03-30-2004, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ask your "local supplier" how much experience SHE has out in the field, and ask her if she is licensed. She is going to give you some shpeel about saying "Oh, yes, Ive used this and that".
Just say. "Oh yeah? What active ingredients worked best for you, and what active ingredients did you find to have a slight decline in performance under dryer conditions.?"
Her conversation will go no farther than the BRAND names that are on the products that she sells. Unless she is a Lesco, or something, I don't see it happening.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

couple of problems with granular weed controls:

hard to keep them on target, they will get into flower beds and do damage

they need to 'stick' to your target weed, a light breeze and it blows off target and you get no results, heck, just walking behind the spreader and your feet can knock product off target. You MIGHT get some control over the very large leafed weeds but on the small leafed weeds, such as clover, chickweed, spotted spurge, etc you wont get any results.

companies like Scotts that sell product to the homeowner will always recommend using a weed n feed product early in morning when there is a dew on turf, this will help that granular product stick to your target. Aint always easy to do unless you are just doing your own lawn.

with a pack-pac type of sprayer you are pretty much 'painting' on the herbicide to the target weed. there are dyes available to add to the spray so you will see where you have been.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to use a backpak, I hope you don't have very many customers.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping
Old 03-30-2004, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Granular products can be effective for light problem areas. granulars break down when wet then should be absorbed by the root. I'm from the south where St. augustine is the grass of choice, and causes us to use a different type of herbicide. Chances are you will be using something with 2 4D such as Momentum. Backpacks work well when spot treating, but for blanket treatments, it can be a nightmare. Also, adding some type of N. will aid in the uptake.

Keith
Old 03-30-2004, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks TSM I was not aware of the dyes to identify my own traffic thats a pretty cool idea. Who manufactures such a thing? I dont have too many yards for a backpack sprayer at this point so I think I will go that route for this season. Hopefully next year I will be forced to go a different direction for application! My local supplier has had her own lawn business for 18 years as well as working at the local farmers supply for 31 years so I would venture to say that her knowledge has got us all beat!! Also , what brands of either liquid or granular weed and feed types would be the best. So far this year I have been using Green Yard brand and Shaws. All of my contracts are thick healthy lawns with no real problem areas so obviously I would like top keep them that way.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had the same issue this year with the granular not working as well as it has in the past-Currently the Bermuda here is still semi-dormant so really can't spot spray w/out risking brown spot after the green up. Most of the weeds are suppressed except for the d*** chickweed, Am using Lesco .086 0-0-7 Pre-m and followed up with momentum (1st week of March)