Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2004, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

New Businness Lady

I am not sure if I am doing this correctly I am learning?

I want to go into the Lawn business since my father was a professional gardener himself. Any tips on how to get started so that I won't waste little money that I have to begin with........

Thanks
Old 03-31-2004, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my advice would be to read and read some more on this site. you can learn almost everything on this website. i highly reccamend spending hours on here. best of luck
Old 03-31-2004, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for responding. I am trying to learn how to post and read things on this site..........I am learning so much here and out in the field.

Do you think I should pay score out here for business enterpeniurs meetings. They charge and schedule business meetings and have special speakers on going thru out the mths and years.

Or do you suggest I just learn here? So do you have any idea where to begin. Should I get a truck and then the equipment then go out in the field and begin knocking on doors.

I am a woman and I know I can do it and have men working under me.........what do you suggest my friend?

Old 03-31-2004, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Member

#1- Do you have any experience, or just your Dad? If you haven't been out there I would strongly recommend hiring on with a company to see if you really like this kind of business- I wouldn't say that "should I get a truck and then the equipment then go out in the field and begin knocking on doors" would be the way to enter this business unless you've got alot of startup capital and lots of money sitting in the bank. Have you looked into insurance, licenses, put references together, set up your taxes for you & employees? How will you structure your business? What kind of work are you looking for? These are all questions you need to ask- it doesn't matter if you are a woman or not- if you haven't thought your business plan out it won't matter how many men will work under you- they will still need to get paid- of course, I'm a cautious one- there is something to be said for throwing caution to the wind and just going for it....
Old 03-31-2004, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Destinysangels,

Start off by finding out if you need to be licensed with the Sate of Cal. in order to operate your business and then obtain any licenses that are required.

Next check into getting some sort of liability insurance. You can never to be carefull, people nowadays are very eager to sue.

Next, only purchase the equipment necessary to service your current clientel. If you don't have a clientel yet then you should start with the basics. Mower, Trimmer, Edger and Blower. They don't need to be top of the line, but pay a little extra for the better quality equipment.

After that start your marketing campaign; flyers, ads, newspapers, door to door, yellow pages, etc. whatever your budget will allow.

The next thing that happens is the phone starts ringing and it's time to get to work.

Good luck with you business this year, Hope you find it as rewarding as I do.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've learned 90% of what I know about this business from THIS SITE. The other 10 I've learned from experience and working for other landscapers. I would be lost without Lawnsite. Vist lawnsite every day, read as many threads as possible, do searches for topics of interest, and you will have a successful business.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Destinysangels welcome to LawnSite keep reading there is a lot of info here.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 03-31-2004, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Gosh, I am still trying to figure out how to check who sent me messages on here. I was lost for a bit trying to find who is ans. me. I thank you all for your advise it helps so much to know what to do and where I stand in this type of business. I had a lady friend whom is 53 said that she did not know what to do when her boyfriend left her, but he did teach her tree climbing. So she has her business going now for 10 mths when she could not get hired anywhere else she decided that this is what she will do. So she has a tree climber and sub-contracts a guy to mull the branches etc. She said she is making good money but is very tired and has been taking for granted by her employees.

I was going to go that route into business with her but she never did show up to pick me up the first day she said she had attented a business meeting and was exhausted and so I called her and she was to pick me up at 3:30 the following day but never did again.

I did not want to be a pest and persist in case she changed her mind, so I got on the ban wagon myself and decided I better do something quick since I need a job.

I had gotten injured on a job and finally got only $10 thous and want to invest and do something wisely before it goes into the wind and have nothing to show for.

I am sorta scared, but at the same time I do not want to work for an employer. I find I can do better me being the boss and a nice one at that.

Scored a place where they give you advise for small businesses just called and so I have an appt. with them today to see what they say?

I have my brother and a friend of mind that will be getting laid off soon that can to the labor as I go knocking on doors and making this plan of mine work out. I feel the first clientel will excite me and give me comfort and determination that is will work.

I am ready to buy a truck and few equipment to begin with. I am venturing out and trusting God for this to be my own business. That other girl stepped out on a limb herself and she is making boo coo money she said. There is money out there you just need to put yourself out there and go for it.

By the way I am 54 years old and not to bad on the eyes yet! Hopefully that will help me with consumers...........(SMILE)
Old 03-31-2004, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I am so grateful to you guys that respond you just don't know how much. I am glad there is a site like this where you can speak and get comments and information from others that have been there and done that!'

Are there much woman out there that get into lawn businesses by sides men. Yeah! my father did Landscaping for years till he retired. I must have that in my blood somewhere and just will eventually learn the tricks of the trade. I just don't have the muscles you men have.

Also how much does one employer recieve when I do get them to work for me. I already have a driver, and my brother is willing and is a hard worker. He recently did a small job for my daughter and we did not even have all the right tools. She paid him $200 hund. and he was happy. Put some money in his pocket.....

This is also what gave me the inspiration to do this. I would be helping to men have jobs including myself. I know I can do this....although I thought I would be doing some other type of womanly business.

I should Thank my dad for having this is his blood long time ago huh? I have so much to learn guys...........
Old 03-31-2004, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Destinysangels,

I'm happy for you, you sound very excited about this new venture and I think you'll do very well at it. I like to see women take an interest in this type of business and do well at it. My wife is co-owner of our business and shes there everyday doing mowing, spring cleanups, aerating, landscaping, etc. She really enjoys it and iv'e never felt like she couldn't handle it.

As with anything in life there is a lot to learn and you will learn a lot this coming year. There is plenty of good advice and information within this site that should be beneficial to you and your business.

Best of luck to you this season.