Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2004, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

crabgrass prevent... how long?

how long does it take the crabgrass preventer to start working? i put some down about a week and a half ago and the grass is the deepest green i have ever seen... but it also said that it had a crabgrass preventer in it that would work up to 4 weeks after the crabrass has puped up and it was also supposed to kill broad leaf weeds and i still have clover and dandilions coming up..... is there something i am missing?
Old 03-31-2004, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What did you put down? Most preemergents in my experience have no effect on broadleaf perennial weeds.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i put down that staygreen stuff from lows i think it said it had broad leaf preventer or killer on it... i know it said it did more that fert. and crabgrass prevent. and it did say it would work on crabrass up to 4 weeks after germination
Old 03-31-2004, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a thought....that could be your problem...."stay green stuff" from "lows." (lowes!)
Old 03-31-2004, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes well i will have to say that is has made my yard look much better than the chemlawn and scotts lawns on either side of me both done by the "professionals"
Old 03-31-2004, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The winter annual broadleaves you see germinated last fall and are now growing to the point that they are noticeable. A post-emergent is needed for control. Since you mentioned that the label on the product said it controls crabgrass up to 4 weeks after germination I can guess that the active ingredient was Dithiopyr, the active ingredient in "Dimension." This product works well as a pre-emergent for a variety of weeds but the primary function is crabgrass control. Manufacturers include the term "control" on the label even if it is only a small reduction in the population of broadleaf/grassy weeds.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I think you are a home owner and need help in getting rid of broadleaf weeds in your yard. Go buy a dial a sprayer or a hand held sprayer and some ortho weed be gone. mix it 2 ounces chemicals-per gallon of water and spot spray your weeds this will kill all the broadleaf and the clover too you might have to do it twice but it is effective.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by C.T. Lawn Care
i put down that staygreen stuff from lows i think it said it had broad leaf preventer or killer on it...
After reading that I can't even believe I wasted my time responding to an unlicensed applicator.....ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"After reading that I can't even believe I wasted my time responding to an unlicensed applicator.....ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!"

Scraper,

last time i checked you didnt need a licence to apply fert. and weed killer so why dont you back off!! i dont apply chemicals for money.. to much that could go wrong for me to handle... i am just wondering about MY OWN YARD!!! give me a break. If you dont want to help DONT REPLY. lets not turn this into a bashing thread. it was just a question
Old 04-01-2004, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Avon Indiana

Avon Indiana---I know it well. About 8 years ago, I was the grounds manager for the development company that put in Shilow Crossing, Shilow Farms, Austin Lakes and several other sub-divisions in Avon. PM or e-mail me and we will talk. I also have a place at Racoon Lake, so I'm by there sometimes in the summer. But be carefuf, I am a "professional". Good to se ya here.
Russ
"But at home one is bound with petty regulations and irksome restraints.....He feels lost even in great crowds, for nothing and no one seem in sympathy. The people he knows may be good fellows, but they do not understand him, and he does not understand them. he longs to get back to the bush, for there he felt an exaltation that no civilized land can possibly supply." -Denis D. Lyell