Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2004, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

doing it with equipment

Hello Everyone,

I am curious about installing water features using one of the mini-skids such as the toro dingo.

We have always done it by hand but man there has to be an easier way.

Anybody using a mini-skid or mini-excavator and if so hows it going with it?

Greg McDonald
Old 04-01-2004, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just quoted $200 to have a guy come in and dig the pond, and scoop the shelfs out for 63' of stream. $50 an hour!

Then we are going to rent a dingo for $40 a tach hr. to move the rock.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply.

I know one installer who uses a kubota l35 for his installs. He primarily does only large commercial jobs so access and ground disturbance are not a problem.

I would like to buy something. But there are some many choices it's hard to make a decision.......tractors.....mini-skids........mini excavator........regular skid steer......

What to choose????? I need some tylenol!

Greg
Old 04-13-2004, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Work smarter not harder.

Greg,

Your right! Hand digging is a waste of time. I don't know what you figure your hourly wage at, but I hope that renting a machine is cheaper than digging. A machine can do in an hour what would take one man a week of ten hour days.

As for purchasing something, spend sometime renting. Try as many machines as you can then you will know what works best. For an all around work every day machine I like skid steer. For digging ponds I like mini-excavator.

Currently, I don't own either. I look at it this way, until it becomes more expensive to rent, I don't want to buy a machine and pay for everyday it sits unused and lose on depreciation. I watch my cost closely. By renting, if the machine breaks I call and get another, if I go on vacation for three weeks the machine cost me nothing. next year when a new model comes out I get to use it no extra cost. The other side is if I was installing ponds everyday the machine would pay for it's self and I would not be helping to buy someone Else's machine.

I hope that helps some, I still buy Tylenol by the barrel.

Jeremy
Old 04-13-2004, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use Several items depends on how large of pond or stream I'm dealing with, For small streams and ponds I just use my John deere, see <---- my avaitor and always use my toro dingo on all jobs I love that little machine, For Large Jobs I use the bobcat, it has a whole lot more power to move the dirt(CLAY). If you are looking to buy a machine I would have to recomend the Toro Dingo
Old 04-13-2004, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Weatherman, My new Dingo should be in any day now. Wich model do you have and what do you primarily use it for?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had the 300 series but traded it in for the new Tx 400 series Last Month . I have 2 Buckets, Backhoe, Auger, Trencher, and forks attachments.

I use the dingo for just about everything Light duty from moving Trees, Rocks, Mulch, To Planting Trees, digging ponds. To Much To List.