Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2004, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Buy 4cycle engine or 2cycle?

I want to buy a lawn edger and a pole tree pruner to service only 5 small residential properties a week. I'm undecided whether I should get a 2cycle (31cc) engine or 4cycle (25cc). I plan to buy a weedeater type with exchangable extensions, e.g., edger extension and a pole chainsaw - or should I get the reciprocating saw?

The choices are: (1) Reconditioned 2cycle Poulon Pro PP445
12' Tree Trimmer Gas Pole Pruner on eBay for $119 plus $20 shipping; or (2) Yardman 4cycle string trimmer at Home Depot for $75. If I buy the Yardman, I'll purchase the edger and pole pruner extensions separately. If I buy the Poulon, I'd only buy the edger separately.

Will the 4cycle 25cc engine be strong enough to power extensions for the edger and a pole pruning chain saw?
Thanks for any help.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Think you may need to look at some commercial machines like a stihl or redmax. Stihl has the 4 mix which is like a 4 cycle , but still uses oil mix, lots of power, too much just for a weed trimmer thouhg, but would be awsome for the pole saw attachment.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, don't buy the cheap stuff. I had a Troy-Bilt 4 stroke trimmer (at $250, it really wasn't that cheap) and burned it up after six hours of hard use. It required an oil change every ten hours. I took it back, got a refund and bought a Stihl KM85R combi tool. I looked at the Stihl 4 mix line and really didn't see the advantage, but a lot of guys have them and really like them. Even if you only service five properties now, buying cheap tools will cost you more over time.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I would steer clear of the consumer grade stuff. Redmax is a great brand. That is all I use and it is very durable. If you take care of it, it will last you a long time.