Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2004, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

PA sales tax info

What are you guys from PA charging sales tax on. I read the booklet the tax office gave me and I am really confused. Ex. when I do a mulch job do I tax the whole job or just the mulch. How about tree removals and clean-ups? I read in a previous post they would would just tax everything, but I dont want to do that. I want to do what I'm supposed to do, that way when I go up against someone for a job I don't have them telling the customer I'm collecting tax on something that isn't taxed. Then I would look like a thief. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Honestly I still have to look things up because I can't always keep it straight what gets taxed and what doesn't.
Check out this article here.
Scroll down to the bottom.
There you will find Taxable Lawn Services and Non Taxable Lawn Services. I actually printed out the bottom part and cut it out so I could keep it in a handy place.
Hope it helps.

http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/news...=+PA+sales+tax
Old 04-04-2004, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The PA tax law is a nightmare to understand ...there has been an effort to simplify the code as it pertains to landscape work but its bot come to bear yet....heres what I do and my accountant says I'm on the money.

Taxable...all of it:
Mowing, mulch install, pruning, plant installs...nearly everything we do in the lanscape should be taxed

Exceptions...not to be taxed:
Tree pruning/removal as a result of storm damage
New lawn install
SNow removal

If you follow this guideline you'll be fair to your customers and legit with the state.

Kudos to you for even asking the ? as allot of the yahoos in this biz dont collect ANY sales tax
Old 04-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GarPA

Kudos to you for even asking the ? as allot of the yahoos in this biz dont collect ANY sales tax
Amen to that! We hear that all the time. "sales tax? our last guy never charged sales tax."
Old 04-04-2004, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Only about 20% of landscape companies charge it here also. I get same response from new clients.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the sales tax subject really sends my blood pressure off the scale....

frickin low life, ignorant, mouth breathing, goobers.....

there....I feel better...

remind me not to read anymore sales tax threads or I might have a stroke the next time....
Old 04-04-2004, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been charging tax on mulch stated seperately from installation(no tax) on my invoices. That was what I took from reading the pamphlet from the tax office. Also all mowing customers will be charged tAx. I figure If I want to grow to a decent size company I am goin legit from the get go. Even though some customers might be Like "the last guy didnt charge me tax" that is where I will let them know they have a REAL, LEGITAMATE, and PROFESSIONAL company who is reliable and does things the right way, not cutting corners and that should seal the deal.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The tax rules are really vague. I understood it as taxable: lawn maint., applications, lawn seeding(repair only) and pruning if it was done the same time as lawn maint. Calling the state dept. was very little help. They sent one page on what is taxable. If I'm wrong please set me straight. Thanks Matt
Old 04-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
Honestly I still have to look things up because I can't always keep it straight what gets taxed and what doesn't.
Check out this article here.
Scroll down to the bottom.
There you will find Taxable Lawn Services and Non Taxable Lawn Services. I actually printed out the bottom part and cut it out so I could keep it in a handy place.
Hope it helps.

http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/news...=+PA+sales+tax
LOL! Oh good, I'm not the only one! I also printed that page out and refer back to it once in a while.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Actually gogetter, I think a long time ago you might have posted that link for me on a question I had about sales tax. I've since saved it, and used it when necessary. Thanks.