Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-03-2004, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

last years mulch any good?

My supplier still has a huge pile of hardwood mulch from last year and isnt making mor till this stuff is almost gone. My question is this stuff still good or should I be trying to find someone with fresh mulch. I picked up a couple of yards from him the other day for an install and when I got to the middle of the pile it was dusty and almost moldy(whitish) looking. What do you guys think? I have a job in the morning and wonder where I should go for my mulch. Oh, he told me that it was whitish cause he hadn't churned that pile up and that the next stuff would be ok. Just checkin if I'm being conned. His stuff really is the cheapest around so I would really like to use it but if it is no good I'm not gonna cheat the customer.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats obserd that he is still selling last years mulch. He should either be giving it away or getting rid of it. Unless mulch in constantly turned it does go bad and get moldy just sitting in a pile. I would not use this mulch for a paying customer if i were you.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I could be wrong but would not the mold go away as soon as it hits the sun? I myself prefer aged mulch as fresh mulch robs nitrogen as it breaks down, so any thing that has already broke down is better in my view.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

That is pretty much what happen at the first install. I spread it and it kind of went away(the whitish mold).
Old 04-03-2004, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey evan, you guys make the big bucks up there in montgo huh?
Old 04-04-2004, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As soon as he turns it, it should be fine. My uncle ages the mulch he makes the same way and you should see the color and aroma that comes out of the piles he has.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Geez ...we have a pile of about 90 cubic yards left (shredded cedar mulch)... I've never heard of it going bad. We usually time it so we are just about out but we got shut down a little early last fall. I'll have to check it out.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch never really does go bad, as long as its in a pile, turn it over a couple of times, add some newer, fresher mulch to it and it should be fine, it only loses color when it has had direct sunlight.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

About the only downside I have ever noticed to older piles of bark mulch is that it tends to lose it's color sooner after being spread.

If your supplier isn't getting any more for a while, use it, if you aren't happy, ask for a discount and pass the savings on to the client. Discuss it with them first before you spread the mulch though...

Kris- I doubt that shredded cedar goes bad... That's the nature of cedar though. Bark mulch is different though. Where are you located at, BTW?

Dan
Old 04-04-2004, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I used the stuff today and After we dug in to the pile a little it was nice stuff. I could see it possiblly losing color faster. Thats a good point.