Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2004, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

mower choice

I am looking at a 5 acre mow. The area is flat with a few trees in a wind break, but not really a big issue because they are in a line. I am weighing all of my options and need some experts to help me. Here are my options and why:
Commercial walk behind at 60 or so inches. I don't mind the exercise and I would like the manicured look the mower could provide.
ZTR rider at 60 + inches. I worked for a Dixon dealer and liked the mower, but it was the first one I've been on.
Tractor with the ability to add attachments. Limited to 54 or possibly 60 inch deck. Do they mow as well as above?

I don't need to use attachments...only mow.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's really flat and has few obstructions, a big walk-behind with a riding attachment would be the most economical way to go. Of course, some of the zeroes offer a much better seat, which might be a consideration because riding a big job like that will make your back ache if the seat is not a serious upgrade from those on most riding sulkies.

On the other hand, a velky is an option too, unless your feet are already taking a pounding.

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you going to only use it to mow? Think with of all the stuff you could also do with a SCUT.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A 3 point hitch grooming mower will do fine if you do not have a bunch of stuff to mow around.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Will the 3 pt. give a finished look? I spent the last 10 yrs maintaining a baseball field with a reel mower. My baseball team laid the original bermuda. I really miss that look, but I don't think a reel mower would be practical in a residential situation, or would it? Would it handle bluegrass at the height we have to mow it in the midwestern summer?
I just found this out...The current owner has a Woods 3150 ZTR with a 3 cylinder diesel, 90 or 91 model. The mower also has two pull behind Kunz Acerease 60" decks attached. I don't know the hours on the Woods. What would be a fair offer the package? Any feedback on Woods or the wings?
Old 04-13-2004, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MANicure
Thanks for the replies. Will the 3 pt. give a finished look?
In my case it does I use a 7 foot farm-king finish mower at my house and it works good! And the versatility that you can get out of a compact tractor are almost endless.

Mike
Old 04-14-2004, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Most of the small tractors you can also get a mid mount mower for. That way you don't have to unhook it to attach something the the 3 pt arms. and yes the mow real good and so do the read finish mowers
Old 04-14-2004, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

If you're in Iowa, you should check out Country Clipper (made by Shivvers). The new Charger ZTR starts at $5500 and offers a flip-up deck and a joystick steering control (or twin sticks). The joystick felt strange at first, but after using my friend's for awhile, I'm hooked. They offer Kawasaki and Kohler engines and 52/60 decks, up to a 25 hp 60" ($6385). A neighbor loves his 20/52" JAZeeTwo; not quite commercial grade for about $5000. Can you tell I've been pricing them? Good luck!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

how much snow do you get up there? would you need a blower or a blade? what about a front end loader for yard work?
Old 04-15-2004, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in a pretty good situation with snow. A company occupies the back side of the property and provides snow removal. There is a 1/2 mile driveway. The Clipper sounds like a possibility, but you make a good point and having grown up on a farm I may want to have the option of a loader or other attachments. I'm not really in a position to purchase something of that magnitude at the moment. I'm still curious what anyone thinks would be a fair bid on the used mower currently used by the property owner. I don't want to insult him.