Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2004, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Some Sheister is playing off of my Business's Name

Hey guys, as the title of this thread says, someome is advertising their lawn business with a play on my business's name.

O.K., my business's name is The Mean Green Cut, and I had it registered with the county recorder at the courthouse about 2 years ago. Now some new guy that just came out of the woodwork this year is advertising his lawn business as "JBG's Mean Green Mowing". I know this is not exactly the same as my business's name, but nevertheless he propbably saw my ad in the paper and played his name off of mine. I left a message on this man's machine telling him that I didn't appreciate his little play on words.

Is there anything else I can do about this? I'm a little ticked--this man should get his creativity some other place--maybe his brain. (if he has one--everyone knows not to mess with The Mean Green Cut!)

We don't just cut your lawn, we style it!
Old 04-03-2004, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

talk to the register person at the county courthouse. Where I'm from, you need to register with the Secretary of State office, trademark and business name dept. If anyone or any other entity uses or has similar words or wording, they will reject the name you're trying to register and have you contact the owner of the registered name to see if some "deal" can be made between the two of you. Hope this helps. I went thru 19 names before I came up with a nonconflicting name.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a guy in my town that is using a name all most identicle to mine. I keep getting calls from his customers. He doesnt have his business name registered and he doesnt have a listing in the phone book. And he must not even have business cards as his customers cant find his number when they want to contact him. There is nothing I can do about it since he is an unlicensed operator. I have taken a couple of his accounts because people couldnt get ahold of him, and I told them he was unlicensed and they said well then you just take care of my yard, so I did.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Member

You could always get a > TM < OR >SM< registered....then any veriation of your TM/SM would be a violation and could go to court.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

registering don't mean cra! you have to have a TM (trade mark) to do anything about it
Old 04-04-2004, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by specialtylc
There is a guy in my town that is using a name all most identicle to mine. I keep getting calls from his customers. He doesnt have his business name registered and he doesnt have a listing in the phone book. And he must not even have business cards as his customers cant find his number when they want to contact him. There is nothing I can do about it since he is an unlicensed operator. I have taken a couple of his accounts because people couldnt get ahold of him, and I told them he was unlicensed and they said well then you just take care of my yard, so I did.
So if you keep taking his clientele at your rates (or ones you'll accept), then there'll be one less scrub out there. Seems to me like in all reality, you are the winner here and he is the BIG LOSER!
Old 04-04-2004, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah turfdude, seems like he is profiting from that one.

I know trademark would be the way to go if I was a large company and had the dough to do it, but who am I trying to impress? I don't have enough to trademark my name.

We don't just cut your lawn, we style it!