Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-05-2004, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's with my trailer?

I believe I'm going to answer my own question but I would like to hear your input or suggestions.

I'm pulling a 5'X8' behind a Ranger. Loaded with a ZTR and pushmower. Trailer is rated at 2500LBs. The ZTR is strapped down.

When driving, the trailer rocks the truck back and forth in a fwd and aft movement.
Braking the truck is close to normal, not like the load is too heavy. Last year I was pulling about 500lbs less and did'nt notice it, This year is the first year with a ZTR ( Scag Tiger Cub).

Is this common? or am I overloaded and undersized?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Probably not the weight. I once towed a car with a toyota on a full trailer. More likely you load is not balanced right and thus the tongue is to heavy or more likely to light.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

4 cylinder or 6??
Old 04-05-2004, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

97, 3.0 V6, auto, long bed. Not exactly a work horse but it's holding up.
The 2wd suspension is beefed up, heavier springs front and rear.

I've loaded the Cub fwd and backward, didn't make a diff.
I think maybe the distance between the tounge and axel is too short?,,it's a b*tch to backup.

Last edited by bugspit; 04-05-2004 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

The smaller the trailer, the harder it is to back. Is the ZTR on the front of the trailer. Sounds like it's loaded to light on front and bouncing up in front which lifts the rear of the truck.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Last year i pulled my exmark on a 4'X8' trailer, i had a 2001 ranger edge 4X4 , i seemed to have better luck with pulling the mower straight onto the trailer with the back tires of the exmark almost over the trailer axel, that way most of the weight is on the axel of the trailer, should help you out, or maybe the tires on the trailer are too flat check the tire pressure!, and make sure everything is tight, sloppy hitches make for a bad pull! and yes backing up a 4'X8' traiker is friggin hard, i would much rather back up a 16 footer any day.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Member

What kind of tires are on the trailer? If someone put radials on there, that may be your problem.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have replaced the tires...with radials but, I think the ones that came off were radials, I only noticed that they were getting dry rot and bald. The tires were 195's and I went to 205's.

I've also backed the Cub in and drove in fwd. Fwd placement puts more weight on the axel but no change between the two is noticed.

Whats the deal with radials on a trailer...does anyone else run radials?

I tracks perfectly, feels like it hunches the bumper.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Had the same problem not too long ago pulling a 18 foot tandem axle trailer with a F350 4X4. After trying to firgure it out, it was the trailer frame, it was cracked in 5 different places within 8inches, With the truck wanting to move forward and backwards, I would amost bet thats that it is. Check the back to see if one side is lower than the other, and sometimes they are hard to find... Good Luck.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The trailer frame is in good shape after inspection, it's only 3yrs old.

I might try and swap for one that is longer, 10' or 12' is plenty for me.