Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2004, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

question about tilling/and seed

hey yall,

there is a 15 by 30ft space in the back yard where the dogs have dug many holes...will the tiller hurt driveway if you drive on it/what about stone cause this is the access space. Then i plan to smooth it. What types of Fescue do you recommend? Then cover with straw.

Plan to aerate the yard and overseed. Is it to late to put preemergence down. Will i put the preemergence down first or last. Will the aerator damage electric dog fences? Is there such a thing as to much seed (Within means)?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't answer all your questions there, but seeding fescue is a risky thing this time of year. New seedlings will have a difficult time surviving the summer, especially if the dry weather pattern continues. Just keep in mind that it might not produce a good stand of turf unless the weather cooperates with you. Fall is the best time for this.

The Rebels family of fescues do well in North GA, but you should check with your local sources for TN area.

You mentioned pre-emergent. Timing is a tad late, but you are still in the window. Keep in mind that you cannot apply any pre-emergent in the same space if you are planting seed. Pre-emergent keeps both weeds and your seeds that you planted from germinating, so don't apply it anywhere near your seedbed.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And one other thing.....

Too much seed is just as bad as not applying enough. Only so many plants can live in certain amount of space. Planting too much seed will basically cause the plants to starve eachother to death. Be sure and seed according the rates on the bag.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you.

I'm going to put grub worm killer down because that is what moles eat and the grass is brown in somer areas all the time. I wish they would let me sod it.