Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2004, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Weekly flower bed weeding

Went to do an estimate today and customer would like weekly flower bed weeding with the mowing, trimming and edging. She has many flower beds that are in good shape, but how long before weeds become a problem??? Not sure how to price. I really do not make money weeding flower beds, so think I will tell her I do not pull weeds weekly. It will on a per job bases and I am still not sure I want to do it like that. Any one here doing anything like this? Her yards looks good and she is paying someone to do it. So I am wondering why she asked me to come by. I am cutting the grass next door and he referred me to her. I am new to the business, but I still do not like the smell of this one!

Troy
Old 04-07-2004, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the other guy who is mowing her yard, probally turned her down on the weeding.

tell her about Preen, if she's interested in using it, tell her that you will buy the first container IF she gives you the lawn cutting contract.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dude, definitely take this on. it will be valuable to you down the road. tell her you charge $35 per labor hour for weeding if you can't come up with a more personalized labor rate or package price. by giving her a labor rate, you'll never get screwed.

i work hard trying to sell additional services to our clients. i wish they would all have us out there every week for weeding. the great thing about this kind of work is that it has one of the least overhead costs of services we typically perform.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

If you stay on top of it, weeding & spraying then it won't be that big of a deal, just make sure you include this in your bid
Old 04-08-2004, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

oh and like charlies said bed maint. has low overhead.

Quote:
Originally posted by bugspit

tell her about Preen, if she's interested in using it, tell her that you will buy the first container IF she gives you the lawn cutting contract.
Buy the first container??? You should buy all of it, its a cost of doing business just like gas or insurance that should be included in your hourly rate. Why don't you just ask her to buy you a new lawnmower
Old 04-08-2004, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I look at it as a bribe to get more opprotunities for additional work. Wouldn't be too hard for me to make up the difference.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, he's new. Don't tell him to spray, unless he's certified. Jeeze, next week, you'll be calling him names for doing that.
What's the law, in LA?
Crawdad
Old 04-09-2004, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crawdad
[What's the law, in LA?
Crawdad [/B]
The way I understand it, you must have a license to do anything in flower beds, spraying or pulling weeds.

Troy
Old 04-09-2004, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

A weed pulling license????
Old 04-11-2004, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is the way the business works. You are moving in the right direction. Referrals are the best way to increase your customer base. I would apply a pre-emergent and charge for seasonal color maint. Do you have a license? If you don't I would get one. Pulling weeds is a thing of the past. Keep that under your sleeve though. You will never have a landscape that is weed free. You can however keep them suppressed and charge for weed pulling. You decide.